Unanswered thread not on UAT list?

• Thread starter Merlin3189
  • Start date
In summary, the post is still on the unanswered list, but may be able to be answered if someone has the answer.
Merlin3189
Homework Helper
Gold Member
A new poster has put up a homework question, but managed to knock it off the unanswered list by adding further info. I've been trying to help via private conversation, but although I'm convinced an analytic solution is possible, the maths is temporarily defeating me! (Only basic calculus, derivative of function of function, but I'm very rusty.)

Is there any way, other than reposting in a new thread, that it can get back on the UAT list, so that real mathematicians can see it and maybe help. Post referred to is: in Introductory Physics HW, by Makonia,
" How to chose the angle and initial speed to hit two objects "

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I was curious and merged the three posts. The thread appeared in the list of unanswered threads again.
Then I wrote an answer, now it is not on the list any more of couse.

Thanks. Sorry if I was a bit hasty. I was feeling guilty about encouraging him to add more info, then not being able to help myself.
I did look up a formula like the ones appearing in the thread now, but have still not been able to derive it myself even having the result to guide me!

I often feel the first response to a post needs to be to ask for more info, especially as many questions are poorly explained. But it does worry me that, as soon as you make any sort of response, the post leaves the unanswered list, where it would normally be much more likely to be noticed.

I expect you have considered these problems a lot and I can see drawbacks to any alternatives I've yet thought of.

Unless I think I'm going to be able to offer a full answer, I generally reply via a conversation leaving the thread unanswered to attract further attention.

Related to Unanswered thread not on UAT list?

What is an "Unanswered thread not on UAT list"?

An "Unanswered thread not on UAT list" refers to a discussion or question that has been posted on a forum or thread, but has not yet been answered or addressed by other users. This term is commonly used in online forums or discussion boards.

Why is it important to have all threads on the UAT list?

Having all threads on the UAT (Unanswered Thread) list allows for better organization and management of discussions. It also ensures that all questions or topics are addressed and no important information is missed.

How do you add an "Unanswered thread not on UAT list" to the UAT list?

To add an "Unanswered thread not on UAT list" to the UAT list, you can either manually mark the thread as unanswered or use a specific forum or thread feature that automatically adds unanswered threads to the UAT list.

What are the benefits of having an "Unanswered thread not on UAT list" feature?

The main benefit of having an "Unanswered thread not on UAT list" feature is that it helps to keep discussions organized and ensures that all questions or topics are addressed. It also allows users to easily find and participate in discussions that need attention.

How does the "Unanswered thread not on UAT list" feature help in scientific forums or communities?

In scientific forums or communities, the "Unanswered thread not on UAT list" feature helps to ensure that all questions or discussions related to a specific topic are properly addressed. It also helps to promote collaboration and knowledge sharing among scientists and researchers.