Unanswered chemistry question (from a test)

In summary, the net ionic equation for the reaction of calcium bromide and sodium phosphate contains 3Ca2+(aq)
professor
the net ionic equation for the reaction of calcium bromide and sodium phosphate contains which of the following species:
a. Ca^2+(aq)
b. PO4^3-(aq)
c. 2Ca3(PO4)2(s)
d. 6NaBr(aq)
e. 3Ca2+(aq)

now for some reasoni went ahead and put 6NaBr which is now most obviously to me not the answer...(only partially because it had a red slash over it) could someone shw me which one it would be... and more usefully for the next test...why it is that one.

Physics news on Phys.org
professor said:
the net ionic equation for the reaction of calcium bromide and sodium phosphate contains which of the following species:
a. Ca^2+(aq)
b. PO4^3-(aq)
c. 2Ca3(PO4)2(s)
d. 6NaBr(aq)
e. 3Ca2+(aq)

now for some reasoni went ahead and put 6NaBr which is now most obviously to me not the answer...(only partially because it had a red slash over it) could someone shw me which one it would be... and more usefully for the next test...why it is that one.

I could be wrong...

CaBr2 + Na3PO4 -> NaBr + Ca3(PO4)2

balanced...

3 CaBr2 + 2 Na3PO4 --> 6 NaBr + 1 Ca3(PO4)2

i went and wrote them out, and think 3ca^2+(aq) is it... could someone confirm this, or disprove me?... that was soo much easier thean i origionally thought...darn, i think what it was attempting to ask was of the reactants which species was present...poorly worded question i guess, but yeah i do see where i got 6NaBr

Last edited:
wait... i see now, that's the complete equation, the question was worded fine, the NaBr dident react, it would be taken out in the net ionic eq leaving 3Ca^2+ and PO4^3- i guess

Last edited:
would any precipitate be formed?

Start with the balanced molecular equation : 3 CaBr2 + 2 Na3PO4 --> 6 NaBr + Ca3(PO4)2

Next write the complete ionic equation : 3Ca(2+) + 6Br(-) + 6Na(+) + 2PO4(3-) --> 6Na(+) + 6Br(-) + Ca3(PO4)2

The important thing to notice (asGCT pointed out) is that among all the compounds present, only the calcium phosphate is insoluble, and will not ionize.

From the above equation, cancel off common terms between the LHS and the RHS to write the Net Ionic Equation...and that will give you the answer you need.

professor said:
wait... i see now, that's the complete equation, the question was worded fine, the NaBr dident react, it would be taken out in the net ionic eq leaving 3Ca^2+ and PO4^3- i guess
Close, but not completely right.

Related to Unanswered chemistry question (from a test)

What is the difference between an element and a compound?

An element is a pure substance made up of only one type of atom. A compound is a substance made up of two or more elements chemically bonded together.

How do you calculate the number of protons, neutrons, and electrons in an atom?

The number of protons is equal to the atomic number of an atom, which can be found on the periodic table. The number of neutrons can be calculated by subtracting the atomic number from the atomic mass. The number of electrons is equal to the number of protons in a neutral atom.

What is the difference between an acid and a base?

An acid is a substance that donates a proton (H+) in a chemical reaction, while a base is a substance that accepts a proton. Acids have a pH less than 7 and bases have a pH greater than 7.

What is the law of conservation of mass?

The law of conservation of mass states that matter cannot be created or destroyed in a chemical reaction, but can only change forms or be rearranged. This means that the total mass of the reactants must be equal to the total mass of the products.

How do you balance a chemical equation?

To balance a chemical equation, the number of atoms of each element on the reactant side must equal the number of atoms of the same element on the product side. This can be achieved by adjusting the coefficients in front of each compound in the equation.