U.S. Physics Olympiad F=ma 2008: Problem 12

In summary, when a uniform disk rotates at a fixed angular velocity about an axis through its center normal to the plane of the disk, it has kinetic energy E. However, if the same disk rotates at the same angular velocity about an axis on the edge of the disk (also normal to the plane of the disk), its kinetic energy is 3E, which is found by using the parallel axis theorem to calculate the moment of inertia.
Ritted
12. A uniform disk rotates at a fixed angular velocity on an axis through its center normal to the plane of the disk, and has kinetic energy E. If the same disk rotates at the same angular velocity about an axis on the edge of the disk (still normal to the plane of the disk), what is its kinetic energy?
(a) 1/2E
(b) 3/2E
(c) 2E
(d) 3E
(e) 4E

Answer: D

Relevant Equations: KE= 1/2 I x w^2, I=MR^2

Attempt at Solving: Io=MR^2, In=4MR^2, thus KE=4 (1/2 I x w^2)= 4E

Can someone please explain why the answer is 3E? I really appreciate your assistance! Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Rittted, welcome to PF.
Moment of inertia of a uniform disc about an axis through cm perpendicular to the plane is 1/2*M*R^2.
Using theorem of parallel axis, you can find the moment of inertia about an axis on the edge of the disk.

Note that for a uniform disk, I = (1/2) m r^2, not m r^2.

Furthermore, the parallel axis theorem may come in handy.

Note that the kinetic energy is linear in I ([itex]E = \tfrac{1}{2} I \omega^2[/itex]) so you only need to show that [itex]I = 3 I_\mathrm{cm}[/itex], where I is the moment of inertia about the axis on the edge, and [itex]I_\mathrm{cm} = \tfrac{1}{2} m r^2[/itex]

Thanks for all of the help guys! I really appreciate it!

So I= 1/2mr^2 + mr= 3/2mr^2=3I

and

KE= 3E

Great!

Related to U.S. Physics Olympiad F=ma 2008: Problem 12

1. What is the "U.S. Physics Olympiad F=ma 2008"?

The U.S. Physics Olympiad F=ma (Force=mass*acceleration) is an annual physics competition held by the American Association of Physics Teachers. It is designed to challenge high school students in their knowledge and application of physics concepts.

2. What is the format of the competition?

The competition consists of two rounds: a preliminary exam and a semifinal exam. The preliminary exam is a 75-minute multiple choice exam, while the semifinal exam is a 90-minute free-response exam. The top scorers from the semifinal round move on to the final round, which is a 5-hour free-response exam.

3. What is the difficulty level of "U.S. Physics Olympiad F=ma 2008" Problem 12?

The difficulty level of each problem in the competition varies, but it is generally considered to be a challenging competition for high school students. Problem 12 in the 2008 exam was one of the more difficult problems, as it required a deep understanding of vector addition and trigonometry.

4. How many students participate in the "U.S. Physics Olympiad F=ma"?

In 2008, over 4,000 students from all over the United States participated in the competition. However, only the top 400 students were selected to move on to the semifinal round.

5. What are the benefits of participating in the "U.S. Physics Olympiad F=ma"?

Participating in the competition not only challenges students to apply their physics knowledge, but it also provides opportunities to showcase their skills to colleges and universities. Top scorers in the competition may also be invited to attend the U.S. Physics Team Training Camp, where they can potentially earn a spot on the U.S. Physics Team and compete in the International Physics Olympiad.