Type of curvature of gradient force from edge to center of a sphere

In summary, a person was doing a physics experiment with a ball resting on a table and created a curve with the coordinates given. They were curious about the type of curve and after doing a curve fit on Excel, it was found to be a near-perfect parabola with a high R^2 value. The person was wondering why the force over the gradient of the circle translated proportionally into a parabola and planned to do further investigation.
Sedemichra
I was doing some simple physics with a ball resting on a table and I made this curve

(0,0) (25, 6.8) (50, 27.51) (75, 63.4) (100, 112.34) (125, 175.7) (150, 253.3) (175, 345.4)

I was wondering if anyone could identify what sort of curve it is? I am just curious.

This is not a homework problem.

Physics news on Phys.org
Sedemichra said:
I was doing some simple physics with a ball resting on a table and I made this curve

(0,0) (25, 6.8) (50, 27.51) (75, 63.4) (100, 112.34) (125, 175.7) (150, 253.3) (175, 345.4)

I was wondering if anyone could identify what sort of curve it is? I am just curious.

This is not a homework problem.

Why can't you plot this out, post it here, and tell us what you think?

Zz.

I got the points off of a curve that developed due to the the apparent force of gravity pushing a sphere down on a table...I can't tell if it is hyperbolic or parabolic...or maybe a section of an ellipse(if that's even different)...I have seen the curve and I am guessing it is a parabola but I am not sure how to be certain because I could do a quadratic regression in my calculator but that wouldn't really prove anything would it?

Here is a picture of the curve

gYVPr66.jpg

Hyperbole, Parabola, or a section of ellipse I can't tell the difference

I did a curve fit on Excel
The ordered pairs you gave at the beginning lie very close to a perfect parabola:
y = 0.011329238095238*x^2 - 0.009373809523815*x - 0.037083333332703
with R^2 of 0.999997

Khashishi said:
I did a curve fit on Excel
The ordered pairs you gave at the beginning lie very close to a perfect parabola:
y = 0.011329238095238*x^2 - 0.009373809523815*x - 0.037083333332703
with R^2 of 0.999997

Thanks man, I wonder why the force over the gradient of the circle translates proportionally into a practically perfect parabola?

I will have to do some more investigating!

Thanks again for your reply.

Related to Type of curvature of gradient force from edge to center of a sphere

1. What is the definition of "Type of curvature of gradient force from edge to center of a sphere"?

The type of curvature of gradient force from edge to center of a sphere refers to the change in force experienced by an object as it moves from the edge to the center of a spherical surface. This force is caused by the gradient of the surface, which is the rate of change of the surface's height or slope.

2. How does the type of curvature of gradient force vary on different types of spheres?

The type of curvature of gradient force can vary greatly depending on the type of sphere. For example, a sphere with a smooth and uniform surface will have a more gradual change in force from the edge to the center, while a sphere with a rough or irregular surface may have a more abrupt change. Additionally, the size and shape of the sphere can also affect the type of curvature of gradient force.

3. What is the significance of the type of curvature of gradient force in physics?

The type of curvature of gradient force is important in understanding the behavior of objects on spherical surfaces, such as planets or spherical particles. It can also be used in various applications, such as in designing curved surfaces for lenses or mirrors, or in studying the movement of fluids on curved surfaces.

4. How is the type of curvature of gradient force calculated?

The type of curvature of gradient force can be calculated using mathematical formulas, such as the gradient vector, which measures the rate of change of a function in a given direction. It can also be visualized using vector fields, which show the direction and magnitude of the gradient force at different points on the surface of a sphere.

5. Can the type of curvature of gradient force be manipulated or controlled?

Yes, the type of curvature of gradient force can be manipulated or controlled through various means, such as by changing the surface properties of the sphere or by applying external forces. This can have significant effects on the behavior of objects on the surface, and is often utilized in engineering and scientific experiments.