Two trains and straight line movement

In summary, the distance between points A and B is 60 kilometers. The first train travels at a speed of 40 kilometers per hour, and the second train leaves 10 minutes after the first train.
mmoadi

Homework Statement

The train travels from place A to place B for one hour. Forty minutes after the departure, first train meets with second train, which departed from place B ten minutes after first train, and it’s traveling with an average speed of 40 km / h.

Homework Equations

What is the distance between points A and B? Assuming that the movement of trains at all times can be described as consistent evenly.

The Attempt at a Solution

I really need some help because I don not know where to start.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi mmoadi! Welcome to PF! :wink:

Start by calling the distance x km … then the speed of the first train is x km/hour.

Show us what you get. :smile:

I know that the it takes for the first train to travel the distance between A and B in 1 hour.
Does this mean that the v1 (velocity of the first train) is v1= d/t which gives us that the v1 = d after I plug in the time which is 1 hour?
I also know that the two trains meet after the first train has traveled for 40 min (t1) and that the average speed of the second train is 40 km/h (v2).
So, in my opinion the whole distance is s= v1t1 + v2t2. Am I right?
So how do I continue?

I did some more thinking.
So, I know that the speed(v1) of the first train is v1=d. And the two trains meet after 40 min(2/3h) and the second train leaves 10 min after the first train, so does this mean that it travels for 40min-10min=30 min (1/2h) before it meets the first train. If I am right than it comes to:
s= v1t1 + v2t2 = d(2/3h) + 40km/h(1/2h)= 2/3d + 20km
d - 2/3d = 20 km
d(1-2/3) = 20 km
1/3d=20 km
d= 60 km

Is my solution right?

:biggrin: Woohoo! :biggrin:

Yes, that's exactly the way to do it …

and we can always check the answer (which I did :wink:) by putting 60 back into the original question, and confirming that it works! :smile:

Related to Two trains and straight line movement

1. How do you calculate the distance between two trains moving on a straight line?

The distance between two trains moving on a straight line can be calculated using the formula d = rt, where d is the distance, r is the rate or speed of the trains, and t is the time it takes for the trains to meet or pass each other.

2. What is the difference between the relative velocity and absolute velocity of two trains?

The relative velocity of two trains is the velocity of one train with respect to the other, while the absolute velocity is the velocity of each train with respect to a fixed point on the ground. In other words, the relative velocity takes into account the motion of both trains, while the absolute velocity only considers the motion of each train individually.

3. How does the direction of the trains' motion affect their relative velocity?

The direction of the trains' motion has no effect on their relative velocity. The relative velocity is calculated based on the difference in velocities between the two trains, regardless of their direction of motion.

4. Can two trains moving at different speeds ever have the same relative velocity?

Yes, two trains moving at different speeds can have the same relative velocity if their speeds are in a ratio of 1:1 or a multiple of that ratio. For example, if one train is moving at 50 mph and the other is moving at 100 mph, their relative velocity would be the same as if one train was moving at 10 mph and the other at 20 mph.

5. How does the length of the trains affect the time it takes for them to pass each other?

The length of the trains does not affect the time it takes for them to pass each other. The time it takes for them to pass each other is solely dependent on their relative velocity and the distance between them.