Two State Quantum System with a given Hamiltonian

In summary, the problem involves a two state system with a Hamiltonian of equal energies. The wave function at time t is given by \psi(t)=e^{(-iEt/\hbar)}\left( \begin{array}{cc} 0 \\ 1 \end{array} \right) and the probability to observe the ground state energy at t=T is 100%. To find the probability of the state \left( \begin{array}{cc} 1 \\ 0 \end{array} \right) at t=T, the matrix exponential function needs to be calculated and the probability can be evaluated using | \langle \phi | \psi \rangle |^2 where \phi = \
bgrape

Homework Statement

A two state system has the following hamiltonian
[tex]

H=E \left( \begin{array}{cc} 0 & 1 \\
1 & 0 \end{array} \right)

[/tex]

The state at t = 0 is given to be

[tex]

\psi(0)=\left( \begin{array}{cc} 0 \\ 1 \end{array} \right)

[/tex]

• Find Ψ(t).

• What is the probability to observe the ground state energy at t = T ?

• What is the probability that the state is

[tex]

\left( \begin{array}{cc} 1 \\ 0
\end{array} \right)

[/tex]

at t = T ?

Homework Equations

[tex]
i\hbar\frac{\partial\psi}{\partial t} = \frac{\hbar^2}{2m}\nabla^2\psi + V(\mathbf{r})\psi
[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

My main problem is with the notation. I understand that this system has two states with the same energies. I think this system can be an electron in an energy level, it has up or down spin possibilities. I think since both the states have the same energy both are considered ground state therefore we have 100% possibility to observe the ground state energy at t=T and the probability that the state is [tex]

\left( \begin{array}{cc} 1 \\ 0
\end{array} \right)

[/tex] at t=T seems to be 1/2 intuitively because there is no energy difference between the states. However I don't know the correct notation for Ψ(t). I am thinking of

[tex]
\psi(t)=\left( \begin{array}{cc} e^{(-iEt/\hbar)} \\
e^{(-iEt/\hbar)} \end{array} \right)
[/tex]

but this does not define that the system is in the particular state at t=0. Any help is greatly appriciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Note that [tex]\psi(0)[/tex] is not an eigenstate. So you need to solve the time dependent Schrödinger equation. The wave function at time t is given by:

[tex]\psi (t)=\exp({-i/\hbar Ht})\psi (0)[/tex]

You need to calculate the matrix exponential function!

Thanks for your reply csopi. I have corrected my Ψ(t) as below, what I though of first was a fatal mistake.

[tex]
\psi(t)=e^{(-iEt/\hbar)}\left( \begin{array}{cc} 0 \\
1 \end{array} \right)
[/tex]

Is my assumption that since both energies are the same both can be considered as ground state and probability to observe the state at t=T will always be 1 correct?

for the next part

What is the probability that the state is

[tex] \left( \begin{array}{cc} 1 \\ 0
\end{array} \right) [/tex]

at t = T ?

I think i will have to evaluate
[tex]| \langle \phi | \psi \rangle |^2 [/tex]

and i think [tex]\phi = \left( \begin{array}{cc} 1 \\ 0
\end{array} \right)[/tex]

and

[tex]| \langle \phi | \psi \rangle |^2 = (\left( \begin{array}{cc} 1 & 0
\end{array} \right)\left( \begin{array}{cc} 0 \\
1 \end{array} \right)e^{(-iET/\hbar)})^2 =0 [/tex]

Am I on the right track? I am not sure on how to calculate the probability of a state and an energy at a specific time, any help or tip is more than welcome.

Related to Two State Quantum System with a given Hamiltonian

1. What is a "Two State Quantum System"?

A two state quantum system is a physical system that can exist in two distinct states, with the ability to transition between these states based on certain conditions or interactions. In quantum mechanics, these states are described by mathematical objects called quantum states, and can be represented by vectors in a two-dimensional vector space.

2. What is a Hamiltonian in the context of a Two State Quantum System?

In quantum mechanics, the Hamiltonian is an operator that represents the total energy of a system. In the context of a two state quantum system, the Hamiltonian is a 2x2 matrix that describes the energy levels and transitions between the two states.

3. How is the Hamiltonian of a Two State Quantum System determined?

The Hamiltonian of a two state quantum system is determined by the physical properties of the system and the interactions it experiences. It can be derived mathematically using the Schrödinger equation, which describes the time evolution of quantum states.

4. What information can be obtained from the Hamiltonian of a Two State Quantum System?

The Hamiltonian of a two state quantum system can provide information about the energy levels and transitions between the two states. It can also be used to calculate the probabilities of the system being in a particular state at a given time, and to predict the behavior of the system in different conditions.

5. How is the Hamiltonian used to study a Two State Quantum System?

The Hamiltonian is used in conjunction with other mathematical tools, such as the Schrödinger equation and quantum state vectors, to study the behavior of a two state quantum system. By analyzing the energy levels and transitions described by the Hamiltonian, scientists can gain a deeper understanding of the system and make predictions about its behavior under different conditions.