Two skaters of equal mass grab hands and spin

• Thread starter Calpalned
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mass Spin
In summary: So there are two forces each of magnitude ##m \frac {v^2}{R} ## acting.In summary, two skaters of equal mass are spinning on an ice rink while holding hands. With a radius of 0.8m and a time of 2.5s, the resulting force acting on each skater can be calculated using the equation ##F = m a = m \frac {v^2}{R} ##. This is because each skater applies a force of ##m \frac {v^2}{R} ## to the other, and since the masses are equal, the force is equal for both individuals. Therefore, the total force acting on both skaters is twice the individual
Calpalned

Homework Statement

On an ice rink two skaters of equal mass grab hands and spin in a mutual circle once every 2.5s. If we assume their arms are each 0.80m long and their individual masses are 55.0kg , how hard are they pulling on one another?

Homework Equations

## a_c = \frac {v^2}{R} ##
## v = \frac {D}{T} ##
## D = 2 \pi R ##

The Attempt at a Solution

With R = 0.8, and m = 55kg, I plugged it into ##F = m a = m \frac {v^2}{R} ## and I got the right answer. However, I don't understand why I have to use m = 55kg, rather than 110 kg (as there are two people spinning).

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Calpalned said:

Homework Statement

On an ice rink two skaters of equal mass grab hands and spin in a mutual circle once every 2.5s. If we assume their arms are each 0.80m long and their individual masses are 55.0kg , how hard are they pulling on one another?

Homework Equations

## a_c = \frac {v^2}{R} ##
## v = \frac {D}{T} ##
## D = 2 \pi R ##

The Attempt at a Solution

With R = 0.8, and m = 55kg, I plugged it into ##F = m a = m \frac {v^2}{R} ## and I got the right answer. However, I don't understand why I have to use m = 55kg, rather than 110 kg (as there are two people spinning).
Because the force acts on each. Each applies a force ##m \frac {v^2}{R} ## to the other, where m is the mass of one.

Related to Two skaters of equal mass grab hands and spin

1. How does the speed of the skaters change when they grab hands and spin?

When the skaters of equal mass grab hands and spin, their speed remains constant. This is because they are rotating around their center of mass, and the distance between their hands remains constant. Therefore, their linear momentum is conserved, and their speed remains the same.

2. Does the direction of rotation change when the skaters grab hands and spin?

The direction of rotation does not change when the skaters grab hands and spin. This is because their angular momentum is conserved, and the direction of rotation depends on the initial angular momentum and the net torque acting on the system. Since there is no external torque acting on the skaters, their direction of rotation remains the same.

3. What happens to the angular velocity of the skaters when they grab hands and spin?

When the skaters grab hands and spin, their angular velocity increases. This is because their moment of inertia decreases when they are closer together, and according to the law of conservation of angular momentum, their angular velocity must increase to maintain the same angular momentum.

4. How does the force between the skaters change when they grab hands and spin?

When the skaters grab hands and spin, the force between them increases. This is because they are now acting as a system, and the centripetal force required to keep them in circular motion is now shared between the two skaters. This results in a higher force between them compared to when they were spinning individually.

5. Is there a limit to how fast the skaters can spin when they grab hands?

Yes, there is a limit to how fast the skaters can spin when they grab hands. This is because there is a limit to how close they can get to each other before their feet start to lift off the ground, reducing the force between them. Additionally, there is a limit to how fast the human body can withstand spinning before experiencing discomfort or dizziness.