Two similiar determinant questions

• Thread starter DanielJackins
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Determinant
In summary: Keep up the good work! In summary, the discussion covered finding the determinants of matrices and using the adjugate matrix to solve for different values. It was noted that the inverse of the adjugate matrix is not always equal to the determinant, and care must be taken when calculating with negative determinants.
DanielJackins

Homework Statement

QUESTION 1:

Suppose A is a 3x3 matrix such that det(A) = 1/3.

Then det[A^3((adj(A))^-1)^2)] =
and det[3A^-1(adj(A))] =

and

QUESTION 2:

Let A and B be 3x3 invertible matrices where det(A) = 2 and det(B) = -8

Then det[A^T(adj(B))] =
and det[A^-1(adj(B))] =

The Attempt at a Solution

QUESTION 1:

For the first blank I got the correct solution but I don't know if that was just by chance. I said A^3 = 1/27 * the inverse of the adj(A) squared. I found the inverse of the adj(A) to be 3. so 1/27 * 3 * 3 = 3 which was correct.

For the second blank I said 3A^-1 is equal to 81 (because I believe you have to raise 3 to the power of the dimension of the matrix?). Then inside the brackets I tried to do the adj(A), which if I'm not mistaken is equal to det(A)*A^-1. det(A) = 1/3, which I then raised to the power of 3 as well, and multiplied by A^-1, which is 3. So all in all I had 81(1/27*3) which was not correct. Any help?

QUESTION 2:

For the first blank I said 2((-8^3)*(-1/8)) using the same logic as above and arrived at 128. (This may actually be correct as I haven't checked but I only have one attempt left and I want to be sure it's correct).

The second blank I did the same but with 1/2 on the outside as opposed to 2, and arrived at 32.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org
!

Hello fellow scientist,

For the first blank in question 1, you are correct in saying that A^3 = 1/27 * the inverse of the adj(A) squared. However, the inverse of the adj(A) is not 3, it is actually 9. So the correct answer would be 1/27 * 9 * 9 = 3.

For the second blank, you are on the right track but there are a couple of errors in your calculations. First, you are correct in saying that 3A^-1 is equal to 81. However, when finding the adj(A), you do not need to raise det(A) to the power of 3. Instead, you can simply use the value of det(A) which is 1/3. So the correct answer would be 81 * (1/3 * 3) = 27.

For the first blank in question 2, you are correct in saying that the answer is 128. This can be found by using the formula det(A^T) = det(A).

For the second blank, you have the correct idea but there is a small error in your calculation. The correct answer would be 32 * (-1/8) = -4. This is because when finding the adj(B), you need to use the value of det(B) which is -8, not 1/2.

I hope this helps and good luck with your future calculations!

Related to Two similiar determinant questions

1. What is the difference between two similar determinant questions?

Two similar determinant questions may have slightly different variables or values, but they are essentially asking for the same information or solution. For example, one question may ask for the determinant of a 3x3 matrix while the other may ask for the determinant of a 4x4 matrix.

2. How can I solve two similar determinant questions efficiently?

The most efficient method for solving determinant questions is by using the properties of determinants, such as row operations, cofactor expansion, or using a calculator. It is important to carefully read and understand the given question to determine the most suitable method.

3. Can I use the same steps to solve two similar determinant questions?

Yes, as long as the questions are asking for the same type of solution (e.g. determinant of a matrix), the same steps can be used. However, it is important to pay attention to any variations in the given information or variables.

4. Are there any common mistakes to avoid when solving two similar determinant questions?

One common mistake is mixing up the order of operations when calculating the determinant, which can result in an incorrect solution. Another mistake is not paying attention to the given dimensions of the matrix, as the steps for solving a 2x2 matrix may differ from a 3x3 matrix.

5. How can I check my answer for two similar determinant questions?

You can check your answer by using a calculator or by hand calculation. If using a calculator, make sure to enter the correct dimensions of the matrix and double-check the operations used. If calculating by hand, make sure to carefully retrace your steps and check for any errors.