Two Rotating Disks Contacting Along Edge

In summary: So if the driving surface moves at a slower rate than the free surface, then the frictional force will also be slower.In summary, the disks are moving in opposite directions and the contact point is a single point. The driving surface on one disk moves slower than the free surface on the other, so there is a force opposing the motion.
BrianK

Homework Statement

Two disks, rotating in the opposite direction of the other, are held together on their rotating ends, acting as toothless gears. The bottom disk is slightly skewed in one direction, and therefore causes a frictional force on the top disk, and thus an equal and opposite force on itself. Show the direction and magnitude of these forces.

Homework Equations

Basic Physics equations: Newtons Laws of motion, Friction Force equation, etc.

The Attempt at a Solution

I first listed the number of known variables that could affect the situation.
Dimensions of the disks, angular velocities and directions, and friction coefficient.
I drew a sketch of the problem and drew in the angular velocities and forces (sorry for terrible paint skills)
Red: Angular Velocities Brown: Forces holding two together Green: Contact Point
upload_2016-7-27_10-3-1.png

The forces on each disk will be in the opposite direction of the angular velocities on each.
I'm stuck on how to convert the angular velocities into an acting force at the point of contact. I also assume that the point of contact is basically a single point, as skewing the disks in one direction would cause the contact surface to reduce from a line to (basically) a single point. I understand that the two disks are moving in a different direction at that contact point, but I don't quite know how to quantify this using the assumed variables. More looking for hints as to how to find this.

Physics news on Phys.org
BrianK said:
More looking for hints as to how to find this.

Maybe a possible hint would be to look at what happens to a car when you turn the wheel while driving.

BrianK said:
the contact surface to reduce from a line to (basically) a single point
You may find it more fruitful to leave the contact area as a small patch, effectively flat. Take one of them to be the driving surface, moving at a given speed in a given direction. The other one is free to move at a certain angle to that direction only (i.e. ignore any load inhibiting its rotation on its axis).
Can you think of a criterion which will determine the rate of that movement? Remember that friction opposes relative motion of the surfaces in contact.

Related to Two Rotating Disks Contacting Along Edge

1. How do two rotating disks come into contact along the edge?

Two rotating disks can come into contact along the edge by being placed next to each other with their edges touching, or by being connected together through a common axis of rotation.

2. What happens when two rotating disks make contact along the edge?

When two rotating disks make contact along the edge, friction is created between the two surfaces. This can cause the disks to slow down or even come to a complete stop, depending on the force of the rotation and the friction coefficient between the two surfaces.

3. What factors affect the contact between two rotating disks along the edge?

The contact between two rotating disks along the edge can be affected by factors such as the speed of rotation, the surface materials and textures of the disks, and the amount of force or pressure applied to the disks.

4. Can two rotating disks make contact along the edge without friction?

No, it is not possible for two rotating disks to make contact along the edge without friction. Friction is an inevitable force that occurs when two surfaces come into contact, and it is necessary for the rotation of the disks to slow down or stop.

5. How can the friction between two rotating disks along the edge be reduced?

The friction between two rotating disks along the edge can be reduced by using lubricants, such as oils or greases, between the two surfaces. Additionally, using smoother and more polished surfaces for the disks can also help reduce friction.