Two quotient groups implying Cartesian product?

In summary, the conversation discusses a group G with two normal subgroups H_1 and H_2, and assuming the group is additive, it is also assumed that H_1 and H_2 have trivial intersection, and are both equal to the quotient of G. The question is whether G can only be expressed as the direct product of H_1 and H_2 up to an isomorphism. It is suggested that if the representation is unique, then G can be expressed as a semidirect product. One of the speakers claims to have proven this by using projections from G to H_1 and H_2, but only for the case where G is finite. The case where G is infinite remains open.
jostpuur
Assume that [itex]G[/itex] is some group with two normal subgroups [itex]H_1[/itex] and [itex]H_2[/itex]. Assuming that the group is additive, we also assume that [itex]H_1\cap H_2=\{0\}[/itex], [itex]H_1=G/H_2[/itex] and [itex]H_2=G/H_1[/itex] hold. The question is that is [itex]G=H_1\times H_2[/itex] the only possibility (up to an isomorphism) now?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think if the representation [itex] G= H_1 \times H_2 [/ itex] is unique, then G can be expressed as a semidirect product.

I think I managed to prove the claim by using the projections [itex]G\to H_1[/itex] and [itex]G\to H_2[/itex] given by the assumptions, under the assumption [itex]\#G<\infty[/itex], which I did not mention above. Since I was the one asking this, there is probably no need for me to post the full proof, and this will remain as a challenge to the rest. The case [itex]\#G=\infty[/itex] remains open.

Last edited:

Related to Two quotient groups implying Cartesian product?

1. What is a quotient group?

A quotient group is a mathematical structure that is formed by dividing a group by one of its normal subgroups. It consists of the elements of the original group that are not in the subgroup, along with a binary operation defined on these elements.

2. How is a quotient group related to a Cartesian product?

A quotient group can be seen as a group that is formed by combining the elements of two different groups using the Cartesian product. This allows for a better understanding and analysis of the group's structure.

3. What does it mean for two quotient groups to imply a Cartesian product?

If two quotient groups imply a Cartesian product, it means that the two groups have a strong connection and can be represented as a product of two subgroups. This allows for the use of properties and theorems related to Cartesian products in the analysis of the quotient groups.

4. Can two quotient groups imply a Cartesian product even if they are not isomorphic?

Yes, two quotient groups can still imply a Cartesian product even if they are not isomorphic. This is because the relationship between the two groups is not dependent on their individual structures, but rather on their ability to be represented as a Cartesian product.

5. How can the concept of two quotient groups implying a Cartesian product be applied in real-world situations?

The concept of two quotient groups implying a Cartesian product is commonly used in fields such as computer science, physics, and engineering to model and analyze complex systems. It can also be applied in cryptography and coding theory to study error-correcting codes and encryption algorithms.