Two-port network models (V in & V out)

In summary, the task at hand is to construct and test a ∏ section symmetrical attenuator, measure and record the input and output voltages, and determine the attenuation in dB. This involves using the equation Vout = Vin * [ R2 / (R1 + R2) ] to calculate the decibel attenuation, and measuring Vin using a signal generator. The next step is to test the attenuator against computer models to ensure that the results match up. This will demonstrate the accuracy and reliability of using computer models to design attenuators.
agata78

Homework Statement

Construct and test the ∏ section symmetrical attenuator. Measure and record the Input & Output Voltages of the attenuator and determine the attenuation in dB.

Homework Equations

Vout = Vin * [ R2 / (R1 + R2) ]

Decibel Attenuation (dB) = 20LOG10(Vout / vin)

The Attempt at a Solution

I have included an attachment for this question. The main area where I am confused at the moment is the number for Vin. Can someone please guide me to how to work out Vin?

Attachments

• P2.2(a).png
    P2.2(a).png
    12.7 KB · Views: 468
Physics news on Phys.org
Looks like a lab experiment to me. Your instructions are to "construct and test".

Vin is the voltage you get from a signal generator. You connect the signal generator to the input of your attenuator and then measure Vin. You don't "work out" Vin; you measure it, just as you measure Vout.

Then do I simply make up an Input Voltage to carry out the further calculations?

Your problem statement says " Measure and record the Input & Output Voltages of the attenuator and determine the attenuation in dB."

It doesn't say anything about any calculations.

Choose a reasonable signal level for your input, something like 1 volt AC at perhaps 1 kHz.

If you measure the voltage out of the generator without the attenuator connected, be aware that the input voltage to the attenuator when connected will be less due to the loading effect of the generator.

You may later be required to compare your measured results with calculated results, but the problem you have stated in post #1 doesn't say anything about that. It just says to make measurements.

The next part of the question is:

Test your symmetrical attenuator (practical) against computer models.

Can please someone quide me in the right direction to answer this question as I am struggling to work it out?

agata78 said:
The next part of the question is:

Test your symmetrical attenuator (practical) against computer models.

Can please someone quide me in the right direction to answer this question as I am struggling to work it out?

Testing your attenuator against computer models means to note whether your measurements are reasonably close to what you calculated.

The point of all this is to show whether or not your computer models give the same results as reality (measured results). If this is true, then you can design attenuators using models and be confident that the resulting design will work.

Related to Two-port network models (V in & V out)

1. What is a two-port network model?

A two-port network model is a mathematical representation of a circuit or system that has two input ports and two output ports. It is commonly used in electrical engineering and telecommunications to analyze and design complex systems.

2. What is the purpose of a two-port network model?

The purpose of a two-port network model is to simplify the analysis of complex circuits or systems. It allows engineers and scientists to study the behavior of a system without having to consider all of its internal components.

3. What are the key parameters of a two-port network model?

The key parameters of a two-port network model are the input voltage (Vin), output voltage (Vout), input current (Iin), and output current (Iout). These parameters are used to describe the relationship between the input and output of the network.

4. How is a two-port network model represented mathematically?

A two-port network model is typically represented using a set of linear equations known as the transmission matrix. This matrix relates the input and output voltages and currents and can be used to calculate the voltage gain, current gain, and impedance of the network.

5. What are some common applications of two-port network models?

Two-port network models are commonly used in the design and analysis of electronic circuits, antennas, filters, and communication systems. They are also used in the characterization of devices such as transistors, amplifiers, and filters.