Two-Phase Darcy Flow: Modeling & Solving

In summary, the conversation is about modeling and solving a scenario involving oil and water flow, driven by capillary pressure. There are governing equations involving pressure and time derivatives, and the problem involves solving for two unknowns, P_o and P_w. The speaker also mentions the neglect of fluid compressibility and the possibility of including it in the equations. They also ask for clarification on whether boundary conditions and Gibbs-Thompson conditions need to be considered in solving the problem.
maka89
Hey! I am currently working on modeling and solving a scenario with oil and water flow. The flow is supposed to be driven purely by the capillary pressure(Dont mind this too much).

The flow in the two phases are given by:
[itex]q_o = -\frac{k_o(\Delta P)}{\mu_o}\frac{\partial P_o}{\partial x}[/itex]
[itex]q_w = -\frac{k_w(\Delta P)}{\mu_w}\frac{\partial P_w}{\partial x}[/itex]

I ended up with these governing equations:
[itex]\frac{\partial q_o}{\partial x} = c(\Delta P)\frac{\partial \Delta P}{\partial t}[/itex] (Mass continuity oil phase)
[itex]\frac{\partial q_w}{\partial x} = -c(\Delta P)\frac{\partial \Delta P}{\partial t}[/itex] (Mass continuity water phase)

Now, you can see that I have two equations with two unknowns, [itex]P_o[/itex] and [itex]P_w[/itex]. But as you see, they have similar right hand sides, which makes little sense... What does it mean when I end up with these kinds of equations? How do I solve this problem?

While applying mass continuity i neglected the compressibility of the fluids as they should not be too big. If I were to include them my equations would become:

[itex]\frac{\partial q_o}{\partial x} = c(\Delta P)\frac{\partial \Delta P}{\partial t} + c_o\frac{\partial P_o}{\partial t}[/itex] (Mass continuity oil phase)
[itex]\frac{\partial q_w}{\partial x} = -c(\Delta P)\frac{\partial \Delta P}{\partial t} + c_w\frac{\partial P_w}{\partial t}[/itex] (Mass continuity water phase)

Do I have to do this? Is there a way to solve my original equations?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I would imagine you need some boundary condition between the two phases like ## v_n \propto [P]^{+}_{-} ## and Gibbs-Thompson conditions.

Related to Two-Phase Darcy Flow: Modeling & Solving

1. What is Two-Phase Darcy Flow and why is it important in modeling?

Two-Phase Darcy Flow is a mathematical model used to describe the movement of two fluids (usually water and air) through a porous medium. It is important in modeling because it allows us to understand and predict the behavior of these fluids in various real-life situations, such as groundwater flow, oil extraction, and soil remediation.

2. How is Two-Phase Darcy Flow solved mathematically?

The Two-Phase Darcy Flow equation is solved using numerical methods, such as finite difference or finite element methods, to discretize the flow domain into smaller elements. These methods use iterative algorithms to solve for the pressure and velocity of each fluid at each element, taking into account the fluid properties and boundary conditions.

3. What are the main assumptions made in Two-Phase Darcy Flow modeling?

Some of the main assumptions made in Two-Phase Darcy Flow modeling include: the fluids are immiscible and incompressible, the flow is steady-state, the porous medium is homogeneous and isotropic, and there are no external forces acting on the system.

4. How does Two-Phase Darcy Flow differ from single-phase flow?

In single-phase flow, there is only one fluid moving through a porous medium. Two-Phase Darcy Flow, on the other hand, involves two fluids with different properties and behavior. This results in a more complex mathematical model and requires different techniques for solving and analyzing the flow.

5. What are some applications of Two-Phase Darcy Flow modeling?

Two-Phase Darcy Flow modeling has a wide range of applications, including groundwater contamination and remediation, oil and gas reservoir engineering, geothermal energy production, and carbon sequestration. It is also used in environmental studies, such as predicting the movement of pollutants in soils and aquifers.