Two Oscillator Frequencies on the moon

In summary, the frequency of a vertical spring and mass oscillator and a pendulum oscillator with the same natural frequency on Earth (f=2.80 Hz) will change when moved to the surface of the moon with a different gravity (g=1.67 m/s2). The frequency of the spring and mass oscillator will remain the same, while the frequency of the pendulum oscillator will be directly proportional to the square root of the value of gravity. The ratio of their frequencies can be expressed as a ratio of the square root of the gravities.
mikezietz
Two different simple harmonic oscillators have the same natural frequency (f=2.80 Hz) when they are on the surface of the Earth. The first oscillator is a vertical spring and mass, the second is a pendulum. If both systems are moved to the surface of the moon (g=1.67 m/s2), what is the new frequency of the vertical spring and mass?

Calculate the new frequency of the pendulum. ?

This is the question. For it i just used the frequency to find the period, i then used this to find the length of the pendulum, i think solved with the new g, to find the period, and then solved back to find the new frequency, i tried this several times, and i cannot seem to get to the new frequency. I have tried similar things with the spring and mass, but i cannot find the right equations to find it.

Physics news on Phys.org
How, exactly, do the frequencies of the two oscillators depend on g? If you know that then the problem reduces to ratios and proportions.

Yes but it's not giving me the right answer, is there another way to go about this problem?

For the spring and mass, the frequency is independent of the value of g. So, it remains the same.

And for the pendulum, instead of doing this long calculation, just see that the frequency is directly proportional to the square root of the value of g.
So,

[tex]\frac{f_m}{f_e}=\sqrt{\frac{g_m}{g_e}}[/tex]

Hope that helps!

spacetime
www.geocities.com/physics_all

thanks, it would have helped, but i finally figured it out myself :) you are correct sir in your help

Related to Two Oscillator Frequencies on the moon

1. How do two oscillator frequencies on the moon differ from each other?

The two oscillator frequencies on the moon refer to the natural frequencies at which objects vibrate on the moon's surface. These frequencies are influenced by factors such as the moon's gravity, composition, and temperature. The main difference between the two frequencies is their amplitude, with one being higher than the other.

2. What are the two oscillator frequencies on the moon used for?

The two oscillator frequencies on the moon are used to measure seismic activity and study the structure and composition of the moon's interior. By analyzing the frequency and intensity of vibrations, scientists can gain valuable insights into the moon's geological processes and history.

3. How are the two oscillator frequencies on the moon measured?

The two oscillator frequencies on the moon are measured using seismometers, which are instruments specifically designed to detect and record vibrations. These seismometers are placed on the moon's surface by astronauts or through robotic missions and can measure both high and low-frequency vibrations.

4. Do the two oscillator frequencies on the moon change over time?

Yes, the two oscillator frequencies on the moon can change over time due to various factors. For example, the frequencies may vary depending on the location on the moon's surface or due to external influences such as meteorite impacts. Long-term changes in the frequencies could also indicate shifts in the moon's internal structure.

5. Are the two oscillator frequencies on the moon important for future moon missions?

Yes, the two oscillator frequencies on the moon are crucial for future moon missions as they provide valuable information about the moon's surface and interior. By understanding these frequencies, scientists can better plan and design spacecraft and equipment for future missions, as well as gather important data for potential human settlements on the moon.