Two masses on strings crossing each other

In summary, Vibhor and Sny are discussing the work done by tension forces on two masses when they pass each other. Vibhor argues that the work done by the tension forces is zero at each instant of time, while Sny argues that the work done by the tension forces is not zero at each instant of time but instead is always zero.
Vibhor

Homework Statement

?temp_hash=ec8b1a546ec7793867713dd11f416164.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Suppose tension in the left string mAM be T1 and tension in the right string mBM be T2 .When the particles cross each other then the angle made by string mA and mB with vertical is α and that made by AM and BM be β . The speed of m is u and that of M is v .

The work done by tension would be zero , so

-(T1cosα)u + (T1cosβ)v - (T2cosα)u + (T2cosβ)v = 0

By symmetry I believe the tensions should be equal so if I put T1 = T2

I get , (cosα)u = (cosβ)v .

But now I do not think α is equal to β when the masses cross each other .

Am I thinking correctly ?

Thanks

Attachments

• peg.PNG
    peg.PNG
    8.7 KB · Views: 614
Physics news on Phys.org
Vibhor said:
The work done by tension would be zero
Why?
so

Work involves force and distance, not force and speed. The magnitude of the tension in the string will change as the positions of the masses change and the direction of the tension forces on the masses will also change as the masses move. Calculating the work done by tension looks complicated!See how far you can get with just kinematics and the fact that the total length of the string doesn't change. The pegs are given to be "small", so you can neglect the diameters of the pegs.

Likes Vibhor
TSny said:
Calculating the work done by tension looks complicated!
... but the method was valid and gave a correct answer. After cancelling out the equal tensions, it effectively reduces to the kinematic method. All that was needed further was to use the fact that the pegs are small, so the angles can be taken as equal.

Likes Vibhor
Vibohr, I believe I was misinterpreting your solution.

Vibhor said:
When the particles cross each other then the angle made by string mA and mB with vertical is α and that made by AM and BM be β . The speed of m is u and that of M is v .

The work done by tension would be zero
I was interpreting this statement as saying that the work done by the tension forces on the masses was zero between the instant of release and the instant of coincidence of the masses.
, so

Rather, it appears that you are saying that the total rate at which work is being done by tension is zero at the instant the masses pass each other. How would you justify this statement?

TSny said:
Rather, it appears that you are saying that the total rate at which work is being done by tension is zero at the instant the masses pass each other.

Not only at the instant when the masses pass each other , but at all times.

TSny said:
How would you justify this statement?

Work done by both the tensions , individually , will be zero .

The string length is constant . If the displacement of 'm' is 'x' and the string makes an angle α with vertical , then component of displacement along the string would be xcosα . Work done on 'm' would be -T1xcosα . Similarly ,work done on 'M' would be T1ycosβ . The sum of total work done will be zero . If we diferentiate this expression , we can see that the rate of work done by tension will be zero at all instants . The tension in left and right string lengths would vary with time , but tension will be equal in the two string pieces and total work done will be zero .

Vibhor said:
Not only at the instant when the masses pass each other , but at all times.
Yes, that's how I interpreted your approach. The net work done by the tensions must at all times be zero, therefore the rate of doing work is at all times zero.

Likes Vibhor
haruspex said:
Yes, that's how I interpreted your approach. The net work done by the tensions must at all times be zero, therefore the rate of doing work is at all times zero.
OK. But I think I'm being dense here. Help me out. With a little math, I see how kinematics and the fixed length of string implies that (cosα)u = (cosβ)v at each instant of time. Therefore u = v when the particles pass each other. Also, you can then conclude that the net rate of doing work by the string is zero at each instant of time.

But you and Vibhor seem to start from the premise that the rate of doing work is zero at each instant of time, as though this is obvious. Can you give me a little hint as to how you are thinking about it?

TSny ,

Didn't you find the justification in post#5 convincing ?

From post #5
Vibhor said:
The string length is constant . If the displacement of 'm' is 'x' and the string makes an angle α with vertical , then component of displacement along the string would be xcosα . Work done on 'm' would be -T1xcosα .
Is x a finite displacement? T1 and α would change during a finite displacement. If x is an infinitesimal displacement, then OK.

Similarly ,work done on 'M' would be T1ycosβ . The sum of total work done will be zero .
This is where I'm having trouble. What is your justification for stating that the sum of the total work equals zero?

I think I see how you are thinking about it. For infinitesimal displacements dx and dy, -dxcosα and dycosβ are displacements along the string. Since the string is inextensible, these must add to zero. (Therefore, the speeds must be equal at the instant of passing.) Then it follows that the total work for these displacements is zero. I got perplexed by the introduction of the concept of work. I thought I was missing some "dynamical" concept.

Likes Vibhor
TSny said:
I think I see how you are thinking about it. For infinitesimal displacements dx and dy, -dxcosα and dycosβ are displacements along the string. Since the string is inextensible, these must add to zero. (Therefore, the speeds must be equal at the instant of passing.) Then it follows that the total work for these displacements is zero.

Exactly :smile:

Thanks, Vibhor :smile:

Related to Two masses on strings crossing each other

1. What is the concept of "two masses on strings crossing each other"?

The concept of "two masses on strings crossing each other" refers to a simple physics scenario where two objects of different masses are attached to strings and cross paths with each other. This scenario is often used to study concepts such as tension, acceleration, and energy transfer.

2. How do you calculate the tension in the strings for two masses crossing each other?

The tension in the strings for two masses crossing each other can be calculated using Newton's second law, which states that the net force on an object is equal to its mass multiplied by its acceleration. In this scenario, the net force is equal to the tension in the strings, and the acceleration can be calculated using the relative velocities and masses of the two objects.

3. What factors affect the motion of the two masses in this scenario?

The motion of the two masses in this scenario is affected by several factors, including the masses of the objects, the length and tension of the strings, and any external forces acting on the objects. Additionally, the angle at which the strings cross each other and the initial velocities of the objects can also impact their motion.

4. How does energy transfer occur between the two masses in this scenario?

In this scenario, energy transfer occurs through the strings as they stretch and contract due to the changing tension. As the objects move, kinetic energy is transferred between them, and potential energy is stored in the strings. This energy transfer can also be affected by factors such as the length and material of the strings.

5. What real-world applications can be studied using the concept of two masses on strings crossing each other?

The concept of two masses on strings crossing each other has various real-world applications, including studying the motion of pendulums, analyzing the forces and energy involved in roller coasters, and understanding the behavior of objects attached to bungee cords. It can also be used to model the motion of celestial bodies in space.