Two masses connected to a spring.

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the frequency of oscillatory motion for a system of two masses connected by a spring. The correct approach involves using the equations m1x1''=-k(l0 - x2 + x1) and m2x2''= k(l0 - x2 + x1) and isolating x1" and x2" to obtain a differential equation for u=x2-x1-lo. This equation can be solved using the reduced mass μ=1/(1/m1+1/m2) to find the frequency of oscillatory motion.
Sefrez

Homework Statement

Two masses m1 and m2 are connected to a spring of elastic constant k and are free to move without friction along a linear rail. Find the frequency of oscillatory motion of this system.

Homework Equations

m1a1 = -m2a2

The Attempt at a Solution

There is equal and opposite force, so momentum is conserved. The force on each mass is proportional to k. I choose a coordinate system to aid in formulating the following differential equations:
m1x1''=-k(l0 - x2 + x1)
m2x2''= k(l0 - x2 + x1)

where x1,2 indicates the respective masses position and l0 is the spring equilibrium length.

Is this a correct approach so far? If so, I have never solved differential equations of this type. How would one find x1, x2? Perhaps I am going about this wrong all together.

Physics news on Phys.org
Your equations are correct.
If you add them you get m1x1"+m2x2"=0 which means that the CM is stationary.

If you isolate x1" and x2" and subtract the first equation from the second, you get a differential equation for the variable u=x2-x1-lo ( the change of length of the spring). That equation for u is an SHM equation with "reduced" mass μ=1/(1/m1+1/m2).

ehild

I am posting only to follow this thread. I will use Laplace xfrm to get at an answer.

ehild said:
I'm nitpicking here, but this actually means the center of mass has a constant velocity, which makes sense because there's no net external force acting on the system.

If the two masses were in rest when connected to the ends of the spring, the CM would be in rest, too, and it stayed in rest after releasing the masses. In general case, the CM moves with constant velocity.

Introducing the variable u=x2-x1-l0 u"=x2"-x1"

m1x1''=-k(l0 - x2 + x1) ---->x1"=(k/m1)u
m2x2''= k(l0 - x2 + x1)----->x2"=-(k/m2)u, and subtracting the equations above:

u"=-k(1/m1+1/m2)u

This is the equation of simple harmonic motion u=Acos(ωt+θ) of a particle with mass μ=1/(1/m1+1/m2): u"=-(k/μ)u. The two-body problem has been reduced for the equation of a single body, of mass equal to the reduced mass μ.

The motion of the individual particles can be obtained from the equations m1x1+m2x2=Vt, (or m1x1+m2x2=0 in the center of mass frame of reference ) and x2-x1-l0=u=Acos(ωt+θ).

ehild

ehild said:
Your equations are correct.

If you isolate x1" and x2" and subtract the first equation from the second, you get a differential equation for the variable u=x2-x1-lo ( the change of length of the spring). That equation for u is an SHM equation with "reduced" mass μ=1/(1/m1+1/m2).

ehild

My answer is in accord with this observation.

Thanks, people. I believe I have it now.

Related to Two masses connected to a spring.

1. What is a mass-spring system?

A mass-spring system is a physical system that consists of two masses connected by a spring. The masses can move freely along a horizontal or vertical axis, while the spring provides a restoring force that brings the masses back to their equilibrium position.

2. What factors affect the motion of a mass-spring system?

The motion of a mass-spring system is affected by several factors, including the masses of the objects, the stiffness of the spring, and the initial conditions (i.e. the initial position and velocity of the masses).

3. What is the equilibrium position of a mass-spring system?

The equilibrium position of a mass-spring system is the position at which the spring is neither stretched nor compressed, and the system is at rest. It is also the position where the net force on each mass is zero.

4. How is the motion of a mass-spring system described mathematically?

The motion of a mass-spring system can be described mathematically using Hooke's law, which states that the force exerted by a spring is directly proportional to the displacement of the spring from its equilibrium position. This can be expressed as F = -kx, where F is the force, k is the spring constant, and x is the displacement.

5. What are some real-life applications of mass-spring systems?

Mass-spring systems have many practical applications, such as in shock absorbers for vehicles, pendulum clocks, and suspension systems for bridges and buildings. They are also commonly used in engineering and physics experiments to study oscillatory motion and harmonic motion.