Two masses colliding relativistically

• Thread starter TristanRE
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Two masses
In summary: This is the same as your result, except for the factor of 16/3 you pulled out of the square root.In summary, when a mass m moving at speed 4c/5 collides with another mass m at rest, the resulting collision produces a photon with energy E traveling perpendicular to the original direction, and a mass M traveling in another direction. Using conservation of energy and momentum, it can be determined that M = (m^2 - 16/3mE)^1/2 and the largest value of E (in terms of m) for which this setup is possible is 3m/16.
TristanRE

Homework Statement

A mass m moving at speed 4c/5 collides with another mass m at rest. The collision produces a photon with energy E traveling perpendicular to the original direction, and a mass M traveling in another direction. In terms of E and m, what is M? What is the largest value of E (in terms of m) for which this setup is possible?

Homework Equations

p=Ymv
E=Ymc^2
(E^2-P^2c^2)_before = (E^2-P^2c^2)_after

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried using momentum only, and I get the calculation of p_x=4/3mc, p_y=-E/c (I used four momenta) so now this doesn't give me much to go on alone since I'm looking for M first. I tried using equation 3 but it becomes so convoluted I'm not sure how that could help me with the answer at all.

Any suggestions?

Physics news on Phys.org
TristanRE said:
I tried using momentum only, and I get the calculation of p_x=4/3mc, p_y=-E/c (I used four momenta)
OK. These are the x and y components of the momentum of the particle of mass M.

so now this doesn't give me much to go on alone since I'm looking for M first. I tried using equation 3 but it becomes so convoluted I'm not sure how that could help me with the answer at all.
Any suggestions?
Try conservation of energy. For the particle of mass M, use the relativistic expression for energy in terms of mass and momentum. That way, you can use your results for px and py.

I'm not sure this is what you meant, but I ended up doing the following.

P1 = incoming mass 4 momentum = (E1),p1,0,0)
P2 = created particle = (E2,p1,-E,0)
P3 = photon = (E,0,E,0)

I then equate: P2=P1 - P3
I squared it and rearranged, and plugged in for E1 = 5/3m, which yielded M = (m2-10/3mE)1/2

Then for the second part it seems easy (assuming I'm right up to this point). I just solved for how large E can be without the the radical being negative: Emax=3m/10

How does this look? I found an example comparable to this in my textbook, thought its not exactly the same, I think this is right.

What about the 4-momentum of the particle that was initially at rest?

It completely slipped my mind! Thank you.

I redid did it the same way except replacing P1 with PInitial=(8/3m,,p1,0,0)

Thereby obtaining M = (m2-16/3mE)1/2,

and Emax = 3m/16.

TristanRE said:
I redid did it the same way except replacing P1 with PInitial=(8/3m,,p1,0,0)
OK.

Thereby obtaining M = (m2-16/3mE)1/2,

and Emax = 3m/16.

I'm getting the 16/3 in a different place: ##M = \sqrt{\frac{16}{3}\left(m^2-mE\right)}##.

Related to Two masses colliding relativistically

1. What is meant by "two masses colliding relativistically"?

"Two masses colliding relativistically" refers to a situation where two objects with significant mass collide with each other at speeds close to the speed of light. This type of collision involves high energies and can result in the production of new particles.

2. How does the theory of relativity apply to this type of collision?

The theory of relativity, specifically the special theory of relativity, explains how the laws of physics apply to objects moving at high speeds. In the case of two masses colliding relativistically, the theory of relativity helps us understand how energy, momentum, and mass are conserved during the collision process.

3. What are some real-world examples of two masses colliding relativistically?

Some real-world examples of two masses colliding relativistically include particle colliders such as the Large Hadron Collider, where particles are accelerated to high speeds and collide with each other, and cosmic ray collisions in space, where particles from outer space collide with particles in our atmosphere.

4. What are the potential consequences of two masses colliding relativistically?

The consequences of two masses colliding relativistically can vary depending on the energy and mass of the colliding objects. In some cases, new particles may be produced, providing valuable information for understanding the fundamental laws of physics. In extreme cases, such collisions can result in the creation of black holes.

5. How do scientists study two masses colliding relativistically?

Scientists study two masses colliding relativistically through experiments using particle accelerators, computer simulations, and observations of cosmic ray collisions. They also use mathematical models based on the laws of relativity to predict and analyze the outcomes of such collisions.