Two forces questions - Extremely difficult

• Thread starter Element1674
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Forces
In summary, the conversation discusses two homework problems, one involving determining the coefficient of static friction to prevent slippage of dinner plates on a counter and the other involving finding the acceleration and tension of two boxes tied together with a rope. The solution to the first problem involves using the equation Ff ≤ μgm, while the second problem requires considering the horizontal force applied to the bottom box as the cause of the acceleration.
Element1674
Two forces questions - Extremely difficult:(

Homework Statement

Problem A: A stack of dinner plates on a kitchen counter is accelerating horizontally at 2.7m/s^2. Determine the smallest coefficient of static friction between the dinner plates that will prevent slippage.
Problem B: A 24kg box is tied to a 14kg box with a horizontal rope. The coefficient of friction between the boxes and floor is 0.32. You pull the larger box forward with a force of 180N at an angle 25deg above the horizontal. Find the acceleration of the boxes and the tension of the rope.

Homework Equations

Fnet=ma=sum of all forces
Friction=(u)(Fn)

The Attempt at a Solution

For problem A, the wording makes no sense. If they are accelerating, are they not slipping? Static friction only applies when the object is at rest, and the plates are not. And I assumed this is how I would solve it:
ma=Ff+Fa
ma-Fa=uFn
(Ma-Fa)/mg
Masses cancel:
a-Fa divided by g = u. But I don't know the applied force. This question is just weird.

For problem B, I did this:
The following is for the vertical direction:
Fnet=0=ma=Fn+Fg+Fa
But I get confused as to which masses to use :/. I originally did this:
Fnet=0=mg=Fn-mg+180sin25 (up taken as positive direction)
Fn=mg-180sin25 WHERE M IS EQUAL TO THE SUM OF BOTH MASSES (they can be treated as a single object)

X direction:
Fnet=ma= some non-zero value = Fa-Ff
Ma=180cos25-u(mg-180sin25)
Divide both sides by mass and solve
Therefore a=1.8m/s^2
And this is awkward because I just got the correct answer... Idk perhaps I experienced a calculator error before. But calculating the tension in the rope, I don't even know where to begin. Isn't it just equal to the net force of the smaller mass?

Physics news on Phys.org
Element1674 said:

Homework Statement

Problem A: A stack of dinner plates on a kitchen counter is accelerating horizontally at 2.7m/s^2. Determine the smallest coefficient of static friction between the dinner plates that will prevent slippage.

Homework Equations

Fnet=ma=sum of all forces
Friction=(u)(Fn)

The Attempt at a Solution

For problem A, the wording makes no sense. If they are accelerating, are they not slipping? Static friction only applies when the object is at rest, and the plates are not.

The problem means the plates do not slip on each other, that is the whole stack accelerates together. What force accelerates the topmost plate?

ehild

Attachments

• stackplates.JPG
    stackplates.JPG
    3.6 KB · Views: 696
The force of static friction does, right? Because its friction on the top plate keeps it on top of the stack.

Yes. And what should be the magnitude of the static friction so as the plate accelerate with 2.7 m/s2?ehild

Fnet=Ff(static)? :)

Ff=ma
Then solve

Yes, knowing that Ff(static)≤μgm...

ehild

Element1674 said:
A stack of dinner plates on a kitchen counter is accelerating horizontally at 2.7m/s^2
The question should make clear that the acceleration results from a horizontal force applied to the lowest plate. Otherwise there is insufficient information.

Likes Nidum

Related to Two forces questions - Extremely difficult

1. What are two forces questions?

Two forces questions are physics problems that involve two different forces acting on an object. These forces can be in the same direction or in opposite directions, and the goal is to determine the resulting net force on the object.

2. Why are two forces questions considered extremely difficult?

Two forces questions can be challenging because they require a good understanding of Newton's laws of motion and the ability to apply them in a complex scenario. They often involve multiple variables and require critical thinking skills to solve.

3. How do I approach solving a two forces question?

The first step is to identify and draw all the forces acting on the object. Then, use Newton's second law (F=ma) to calculate the individual forces and their directions. Finally, add up all the forces to determine the net force on the object.

4. What are some common mistakes when solving two forces questions?

One common mistake is forgetting to consider the direction of the forces and using only their magnitudes. Another mistake is using the wrong values for the mass or acceleration of the object. It is important to carefully read the question and double-check all calculations.

5. How can I improve my skills in solving two forces questions?

Practice and patience are key to improving in any subject. Start with simple two forces questions and gradually increase the difficulty level. Also, make sure to understand the underlying concepts and equations rather than just memorizing them. Seeking help from a teacher or tutor can also be beneficial.