Two Connected Masses Swinging on Two Springs - Classic. Mech

In summary, the problem involves two masses connected by a massless rod with springs of constant k and length b, making a small angle θ with the vertical. The movement is restricted to the XY plane and the springs can only be compressed and stretched. The eigen frequency of the system is to be determined using Newton's and Hooke's Laws, as well as trigonometric approximations for small angles. The approach involves considering the superposition of spring forces in the x and y directions, observing the center of mass, and using matrix form and differentials.
Hunter Bliss

Homework Statement

So in this exercise, two masses m connected by a massless rod with length l are swinging from two springs with constant k and length b. The two springs also make an angle Ө with the vertical. This angle, for this exercise specifically, is very small. (Gravity can also be neglected.)

If the movement can only take place in the XY plane and the springs can't be bent (only compressed and stretched), what is the eigen frequency of the system?

Attached is a diagram of the problem.

Homework Equations

I know the relationship between Newton and Hooke's Law will be important, so: F = m·x″ = -k·x

I have a feeling the frequency itself will be solved using differentials and the determinant of the matrix of motion, but those formulas can come later if necessary.

Since the angle Ө is small, it could be useful to remember that: sin(θ)≈θ, cos(θ)≈1

The Attempt at a Solution

I've attached my approach so far, but I'll explain it a little more so you have an idea of what I'm thinking.

Since the masses are connected by a constant distance and the springs can only be stretched and compressed, the swinging motion will be a superposition of the spring forces in the x and y direction. That means the force in each direction can be determined using trig, for example F = -k·x = -k·cosθ·b in the y direction. (In the case of y, y1 = y2 since the masses basically move up and down in the y direction.)

I also thought it might be useful to observe only the center of mass of the two points since that should effectively reduce the problem to one set of coordinates.

Once I started messing around with matrix form and trying some differentials, I lose the intended form. Hopefully someone can help me!

Thanks guys!

Attachments

• Diagram.PNG
    Diagram.PNG
    4.3 KB · Views: 520
  • Versuch.png
    Versuch.png
    28.3 KB · Views: 451
Physics news on Phys.org
Anybody have an idea?

Related to Two Connected Masses Swinging on Two Springs - Classic. Mech

1. What is the "Two Connected Masses Swinging on Two Springs - Classic. Mech" system?

The "Two Connected Masses Swinging on Two Springs - Classic. Mech" system is a classic mechanical model that consists of two masses connected by two springs and suspended from a fixed point. It is commonly used to study simple harmonic motion and the dynamics of coupled oscillators.

2. How does the system behave?

The behavior of the system depends on the initial conditions, such as the masses, spring constants, and initial displacements. Generally, the system exhibits periodic motion, where the masses oscillate back and forth around their equilibrium positions. The motion is characterized by the frequency and amplitude of the oscillations.

3. What are the equations of motion for this system?

The equations of motion for this system can be derived from Newton's second law of motion, which states that the sum of forces acting on an object is equal to its mass multiplied by its acceleration. In this case, the forces include the spring forces and the weight of the masses. Solving these equations leads to the equations of motion for each mass, which are coupled and describe the motion of the system.

4. What is the significance of this system?

The "Two Connected Masses Swinging on Two Springs - Classic. Mech" system is a simplified model that has many real-world applications. It is commonly used in engineering, physics, and mathematics to study harmonic motion, coupled oscillators, and resonance. It also has practical applications in designing suspension systems, shock absorbers, and other mechanical systems.

5. Are there any assumptions made in this model?

Yes, there are some assumptions made in this model. The main assumptions are that the springs are ideal, with no damping or friction, and that the masses move in one dimension only. In reality, there is always some amount of damping and friction present, and the motion may occur in more than one dimension. However, these assumptions allow for a more straightforward analysis of the system and provide a good approximation in many cases.