Two charges, individual charge values?

In summary, the conversation discusses two point charges with an electric potential energy of -120 microJoules and a total charge of 30 nC. The main focus is on determining the lesser and larger charges using the equation Uele=q1(kq/d), provided by the professor. The person in the conversation is seeking help in understanding how to solve the problem.
xvie
1. Two point charges 3.0 cm apart have an electric potential energy -120 microJoules. The total charge is 30 nC. What is the lesser charge? What is the larger charge?

2. Uele=qv Uele=q1(kq/d)

3. My professor gave me these equations, I'm not entirely sure if they're the right ones. I haven't even attempted it - I just need help in figuring out how to work the problem. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to Physics Forums.
xvie said:
Uele=q1(kq/d)
Use that equation, and the values given in the problem statement. You'll have to think about how the statement "the total charge is 30 nC" can be applied here.

Related to Two charges, individual charge values?

1. What is the equation for calculating the force between two charges?

The equation for calculating the force between two charges is F = k * (q1 * q2) / r^2, where F is the force, k is the Coulomb's constant (9 x 10^9 N * m^2 / C^2), q1 and q2 are the values of the two charges, and r is the distance between the two charges.

2. How does the magnitude of the charges affect the force between them?

The magnitude of the charges directly affects the force between them. As the magnitude of the charges increases, the force between them also increases. Similarly, as the magnitude of the charges decreases, the force between them decreases.

3. What is the relationship between the distance between two charges and the force between them?

The distance between two charges and the force between them are inversely proportional. This means that as the distance between the two charges increases, the force between them decreases. On the other hand, as the distance between the two charges decreases, the force between them increases.

4. Can two charges with the same sign attract each other?

No, two charges with the same sign (positive or negative) repel each other. This is because like charges repel and opposite charges attract. Therefore, two charges with the same sign cannot attract each other.

5. How do multiple charges interact with each other?

Multiple charges interact with each other through the principle of superposition. This means that the total force on a charge is the vector sum of the individual forces exerted by each individual charge. The direction of the force is determined by the principle of attraction and repulsion between positive and negative charges.