Two carts on a frictionless AIR Track held together then released with a sping.

In summary, two carts, A and B, with A being three times the mass of B, are held together on a frictionless air-track with a spring between them. After being released, cart B will move further and have a quicker acceleration due to its lighter weight. Conservation of momentum and Newton's third law can be applied to determine the forces acting on each cart.
SharpCode

Homework Statement

Two carts 'a' and 'b' are floating on a frictionless air-track and are stationary. 'a' is three times the mass of 'b'. They are being held together and there is a spring between them. The carts are released. Describe what happens after the release.

Homework Equations

Im guessing the usual Kinetic Energy equations are relevant here

The Attempt at a Solution

Well not sure if i am on to something but cart B will definitely go further than cart A as it weighs less and the acceleration of Cart B will be significantly quicker too. But i am confused with the forces acting on them in this situation. It says to describe only but want to know a bit more detail if possible.

Physics news on Phys.org
I am very tired and read this message as "two (cats) on a frictionless AIR Track held together then released with a spring", and had a good laugh, thinking if they were alive or dead.

LOL

I thought i had misspelled something for a second :p

You did "spring" not sping.

Oh, Carts not Cats... LOL

I suppose none of this is helping to answer your questions though...sorry about that.
Of-coarse it is getting your question viewed by bumping it up in the new messages.

You could apply conservation of momentum here. Also, that whole 'for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction' thing could help with figuring out the forces on each.

Related to Two carts on a frictionless AIR Track held together then released with a sping.

1. How does the spring affect the motion of the two carts on a frictionless air track?

The spring acts as a force that connects the two carts, causing them to accelerate together when released. This results in the carts moving in the same direction with the same speed.

2. What happens to the motion of the carts when the spring is released?

When the spring is released, the potential energy stored in the spring is converted into kinetic energy, causing the carts to accelerate in the direction of the spring's release.

3. Does the frictionless air track have any effect on the motion of the carts?

The frictionless air track eliminates any external forces that could slow down or change the motion of the two carts. This allows for a more accurate study of the effects of the spring on the carts' motion.

4. Can the spring's stiffness or length affect the motion of the carts?

Yes, the stiffness and length of the spring can affect the motion of the carts. A stiffer spring will provide a stronger force and cause the carts to accelerate more quickly. A longer spring will result in a longer period of acceleration for the carts.

5. How can the motion of the carts on the frictionless air track be measured?

The motion of the carts can be measured using a motion sensor or a timer. The data collected can then be used to analyze the acceleration, velocity, and displacement of the carts over time.