Two blocks tied with massless rope sliding down an incline

In summary, two blocks connected by a rope are sliding down a 20 degree incline. The top block has a mass of 2.0 kg and a coefficient of kinetic friction of 0.30, while the bottom block has a mass of 3.0 kg and a coefficient of kinetic friction of 0.20. The tension of the rope is found by subtracting the net forces for each block and accounting for acceleration, resulting in a tension of 2.94 N.
sheeproars

Homework Statement

On 20 degree incline, there are two blocks tied together with a rope, sliding down. the block on the top has mass of 2.0 kg (m1) and u_k1(coefficient of kinetic friction for block 1) = .30 the block on the bottom of the incline has mass of 3.0 kg (m2) and u_k2 = .20
What is the tension of the rope?

Homework Equations

F=ma, f = F_N*u

The Attempt at a Solution

I found F_net for each block by F_net = F_gx(Force of gravity in horiz. direction) - f(friction)
and got F1_net = .8236 N and F2_net = 4.1754 N
and because of acceleration constraint, and because block 1 has slower accel, I found accel for block 1, which was .4118 m/s^2 and found F = m2(a) = 1.2354 N
Because F2_net is larger than F = m2(a), I subtracted those two and got T = 2.94 N which is not correct.

Physics news on Phys.org
Draw a Free Body Diagram for each block.

How did you account for friction?

I figured it out! I just didn't draw the right free body diagram..

Thanks!

Related to Two blocks tied with massless rope sliding down an incline

What is the concept of "Two blocks tied with massless rope sliding down an incline"?

The concept refers to a situation in which two blocks are connected by a rope that is assumed to have no mass, and both blocks are sliding down an inclined surface under the influence of gravity.

What is the role of the massless rope in this scenario?

The massless rope acts as a connector between the two blocks and allows them to move together down the incline. It does not contribute to the overall mass or affect the motion of the blocks.

What are the forces acting on the blocks in this scenario?

The main forces acting on the blocks are gravity, which pulls the blocks down the incline, and tension, which is the force exerted by the massless rope that keeps the blocks connected and moving together.

How does the angle of the incline affect the motion of the blocks?

The steeper the incline, the greater the force of gravity acting on the blocks, which results in a faster acceleration down the incline. The angle of the incline also affects the tension in the rope, which increases as the angle becomes steeper.

What assumptions are made in this scenario?

The scenario assumes that the blocks and the rope are in a frictionless environment, and there is no air resistance. It also assumes that the rope has no mass and is inextensible, meaning it does not stretch or break under tension.