Twisted boundary conditions for 2d CFT entanglement entropy

In summary, twisted boundary conditions are a method for calculating entanglement entropy in 2d conformal field theories. They differ from standard boundary conditions by introducing a non-trivial phase factor in the partition function. This quantity is significant in 2d CFTs as it is closely related to the central charge and can provide insights into critical behavior. Twisted boundary conditions are used in practical applications such as studying critical phenomena and understanding holographic dualities. While primarily studied in 2d, they have also been explored in higher dimensions, but their implications are still being researched.
ShayanJ
Insights Author
Gold Member
I'm trying to read this paper. Right now my problem is with equations 3.16 and 3.17.
I understand that in equation 3.16 we're putting some boundary conditions on the fields, but I have two problems with these boundary conditions:

1) The fields depend on both ## t_E ## and ## x##, i.e. ## \phi(t_E,x) ##. But writing the fields as ## \phi(w-u)=\phi(x+it_E-u)=\phi( \ (x-u)+it_E \ ) ##, means that its assumed that the dependence of the fields on ## t_E ## and ## x ## is only through the combination ## x+it_E ##. If a general dependence was assumed, the author should have used ## \phi(w,\bar w) ##. So what is it? Is it really an assumption about the form of dependence on ## t_E ## and ## x ##? If yes, where does it come from? Or maybe its just the author being careless?

2) Also I understand that these boundary conditions just mean that like going to the next Riemann sheet, you should first go around a complete loop around the branch point. But I don't understand why this should be the boundary condition. We're not going around a loop with those path integrals, we're going from ## t_E=-\infty ## to ## t_E=\infty ##. So how come a loop is what we consider for the boundary conditions?

My problem with equation 3.17, is that how exactly can we convert the effect of those twisted boundary condition to calculating the two-point function of the "twist operator"? What is that twist operator anyway? How is it defined?

I'd appreciate any comment.
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
for your post. I understand your confusion with equations 3.16 and 3.17. Let me try to clarify.

1) The dependence on ##t_E## and ##x## is only through the combination ##x+it_E## because the fields are being analytically continued to the complex plane. This is a common technique in physics, where we often extend our equations to the complex plane in order to better understand their behavior. The author is not being careless, but rather using a well-established technique.

2) The boundary conditions are chosen based on the physical behavior we are trying to model. In this case, the loop around the branch point represents the physical process of going from ##t_E=-\infty## to ##t_E=\infty##. By requiring the fields to satisfy the boundary conditions, we are ensuring that our model accurately captures this physical process.

As for equation 3.17, the twist operator is a mathematical object that helps us understand the effects of the twisted boundary conditions on the two-point function. It is defined as a specific type of operator that acts on the fields in a particular way. You can think of it as a tool to help us solve the problem at hand.

I hope this helps clarify the concepts for you. If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

Related to Twisted boundary conditions for 2d CFT entanglement entropy

1. What are twisted boundary conditions for 2d CFT entanglement entropy?

Twisted boundary conditions refer to a method of calculating entanglement entropy in two-dimensional conformal field theories (CFTs). This method involves imposing specific boundary conditions on the system in order to study the entanglement between different regions.

2. How are twisted boundary conditions different from standard boundary conditions?

Twisted boundary conditions differ from standard boundary conditions in that they introduce a non-trivial phase factor in the partition function. This phase factor is related to the entanglement entropy in the system and allows for a more precise calculation of this quantity.

3. What is the significance of entanglement entropy in 2d CFTs?

Entanglement entropy is a measure of the amount of quantum entanglement present in a system. In 2d CFTs, it is closely related to the central charge of the theory and can provide valuable insights into the behavior of the system at critical points.

4. How are twisted boundary conditions used in practical applications?

Twisted boundary conditions have been used in various applications, such as studying critical phenomena in condensed matter systems and understanding the holographic dualities in string theory. They can also be used to explore the behavior of quantum field theories at finite temperatures or in the presence of external fields.

5. Are twisted boundary conditions applicable to other dimensions besides 2d?

While twisted boundary conditions are primarily used in 2d CFTs, they have also been studied in other dimensions, such as 3d and 4d. However, their application in these higher dimensions is still an active area of research and their implications are not yet fully understood.