Tutorial: Half-Lives and Radioactive Decay

In summary: After asking my own question on half-lives and radioactive decay despite having read the library article on Radioactive Decay, I felt that I should post a less formal, more in-depth explanation of how to actually solve the equations.There are two primary equations that I use when dealing with standard radioactive decay. One is N=N0ek*t, which determines how much of the original radioactive material remains after a set amount of time. The other is r=ln2/k, which determines how much of the original radioactive material is left after a set amount of radiation has been applied. Depending on which variable you're solving for, you'll need to set up your work in one of several different ways.
jacksonpeeble
Gold Member
After asking my own question on half-lives and radioactive decay despite having read the library article on Radioactive Decay, I felt that I should post a less formal, more in-depth explanation of how to actually solve the equations.

There are two primary equations that I use when dealing with standard radioactive decay.
1. N=N0ek*t
2. r=ln2/k

N represents the final amount remaining.
N0 represents the initial amount.
e is the standard variable for ~2.718
k is the constant exponent for that sample.
t represents the amount of time that passed.
r is the half-life of the sample.
ln stands for natural logarithm.

Depending on which variable you're solving for, you'll need to set up your work in one of several different ways. I've posted each different type of problem, as well as examples, below.

You must usually first determine k before solving a problem (often that will be your problem). Set up your equation r=ln2/k, or switch it around to k=(-ln2)/r if that is more convenient and works for you. From there, you can plug in r (which must be given) and solve for k. Sometimes you may have simply been required to find r, in which case you must be given k (unless you're insanely intelligent and know of some way that I don't).

From there, you simply plug in your values to the other equation, N=N0ek*t. You should now be able to solve for any sort of problem without hassle, as you have the k value in addition to other already provided values by your instructor (remember, you can only solve for one variable at a time unless you have a system of equations).

Example:
The half-life of radium-226 is 1600 years. Suppose you have a 22mg sample. After how long will only 18mg of the sample remain?

k=(-ln2)/r
1600=(-ln(2))/k)
k=(-ln2)/1600
k=~-0.000433216988

N=N0ek*t
18=22*e-0.000433216988*t
t=~463.210587512

463.211 years

As always, when you have your answer, remember to round to correct number of significant digits in chemistry, or typically three decimal places in mathematics. Make sure to include units.

Physics news on Phys.org
All exponentials are equivalent. Since this is "half-life", it can be done simply by using base 1/2. If the half life is 1600 years, then the amount would be multiplied by 1/2 every 1600 years. In t years, there will be t/1600 "1600 year long" units: If A is the amount at time t= 0, after t years the amount will be A(1/2)t/1600.

The example was: "The half-life of radium-226 is 1600 years. Suppose you have a 22mg sample. After how long will only 18mg of the sample remain?"
So you need to solve the 22(1/2)t/1600= 18. (1/2)t/1600= 18/22= 9/11. Taking logarithms of both sides, (t/1600)log(1/2)= log(9/11) so t= (1600)(log(9/11)/log(1/2)= (1600)(-0.08715/-0.3010)= 463.25 years. My answer differs from Jackson Peebles' in the hundreths place because of round off errors.

jacksonpeeble said:
There are two primary equations that I use when dealing with standard radioactive decay.
1. N=N0ek*t
2. r=ln2/k
There's a small issue with signs here. From #1, k would have to be a negative number. But from #2, that makes r, the half-life, also negative, which is kind of goofy. So you will have to replace one of the two [itex]k[/itex]s with a [itex]-k[/itex]. The standard notation involves positive values of [itex]k[/itex], so it would be better to stick in "- sign" into the exponent of #1.

Thank you for the correction; apparently I implemented it in my example, but left it out of the step-by-step. Unfortunately, it doesn't look like I can revise it... would a moderator mind doing this for me?

Last edited:

Related to Tutorial: Half-Lives and Radioactive Decay

1. What is a half-life?

A half-life is the amount of time it takes for half of a radioactive substance to decay into a stable form. It is a measure of how quickly a substance decays.

2. How do you calculate the half-life of a substance?

The half-life of a substance can be calculated by dividing the natural logarithm of 2 by the decay constant of the substance. The decay constant can be found by measuring the rate of decay over a certain period of time.

3. How does radioactive decay occur?

Radioactive decay occurs when an unstable atom releases energy in the form of radiation in order to become more stable. This process can happen in three ways: alpha decay, beta decay, and gamma decay.

4. What factors can affect the rate of radioactive decay?

The rate of radioactive decay can be affected by the type of isotope, temperature, pressure, and the presence of any other substances that may interfere with the decay process.

5. What are the practical applications of understanding half-lives and radioactive decay?

Understanding half-lives and radioactive decay is crucial in fields such as medicine, geology, and archaeology. It allows us to determine the age of objects and materials, diagnose and treat diseases, and study the history and composition of the Earth and other planets.