Tunnel field-effect transistors

• Thread starter kevinisfrom
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Transistors
This allows for a smaller voltage to induce an on/off state compared to traditional MOSFETs. Two gates are used in some TFET designs to control the tunneling barrier and enhance device performance. TFETs use tunneling current instead of thermionic current, resulting in lower power consumption and higher switching speeds.
kevinisfrom
Hi All,

I've been reading about tunnel field-effect transistors (TFET) as a potential design to impact post-CMOS technologies, however I'm having a hard time understanding the idea and also some of the terminology. For example, what is a p-i-n TFET? I understand that one side has to be p-doped, the other side is n-doped and the middle is an insulator, but how does changing the gate voltage induce an on/off state? The gate is over an insulator, which means the Fermi level should not change. And why is there a need for two gates? I've also read that MOFETs have thermionic current while TFETs use tunneling current - what's the difference between the two?

Thanks in advance for all the help!

Engineering news on Phys.org

Related to Tunnel field-effect transistors

1. What is a tunnel field-effect transistor (TFET)?

A TFET is a type of transistor that uses quantum tunneling to control the flow of electrons through a semiconductor channel. It is a type of field-effect transistor (FET) and is designed to operate at lower voltages and with lower power consumption compared to traditional FETs.

2. How does a TFET work?

A TFET consists of a source, drain, and gate, similar to other FETs. However, the channel between the source and drain is made of a narrow bandgap semiconductor material. When a voltage is applied to the gate, it creates an electric field that allows electrons to tunnel through the bandgap and flow from the source to the drain, creating a current.

3. What are the advantages of TFETs?

TFETs have several advantages over traditional FETs, including lower power consumption, higher switching speeds, and lower leakage current. They also have better performance at lower temperatures, making them ideal for applications in space and other extreme environments.

4. What are the potential applications of TFETs?

TFETs have the potential to be used in a wide range of electronic devices, including smartphones, laptops, and other portable devices, as well as in high-performance computing and telecommunications systems. They could also be used in low-power sensors and energy harvesting devices.

5. What are the current challenges facing TFET technology?

Although TFETs have many potential benefits, there are still some challenges that need to be addressed before they can be widely adopted. These include improving the on/off current ratio, reducing the impact of temperature on performance, and developing reliable fabrication techniques for commercial production.