Trying to understand the bouncing ball

In summary: =9.8m/s^2initial velocity = 24.26108upward velocity = 18.19581speed = 18.19581
bboyzeez
hi all, ok i read another post from this forum about the bouncing ball but i didnt want to start asking questions when i never made the thread

ok so I am programming a program that starts with a ball in the air and it will automatically start to fall here is a simplified look at my code to see where I am going wrong etc...i want help not just the answer as i will need to apply this with other objects in the future

ok:
speed = 9.8 * (Mathf.Pow(Time.time,2))

the ball position then drops in the y-axis due to -speed

when it hits the floor i do the following calculations
downVelocity = Mathf.Sqrt((2 * (9.8 * startingHeight)))
newVelocity = COR * downVelocity
nextBounceHeight = (Mathf.Pow(newVelocity ,newVelocity )) / (2 * 9.8);

and then to send the ball back up i change the -speed to just speed

now my problems i am getting are:
the speed of when it falls is the same as when it bounces in air, surely I am missing something that takes away the newvelocity? and then also looking at this the downVelocity will always be the same surely that isn't right?

Physics news on Phys.org
bboyzeez said:
newVelocity = COR * downVelocity
the speed of when it falls is the same as when it bounces in air

Only if COR (the Coefficient of Restitution) is 1.

so say I am imitating a tennis ball the COR is roughly 0.75 (going on what someone wrote in other thread)

i think my problem maybe i apply gravity in beginning but never add a force(if any) so when it hits the floor how does the new velocity alter the speed in which it bounces back up?

Oh I see the problem...

bboyzeez said:
and then to send the ball back up i change the -speed to just speed

No, speed here is just velocity without the sign attached so change the speed to COR x speed.

Velocity simply means speed measured in a particular direction.

ahh I am confused... ok so let me change it around

velocity = force + gravity * (Mathf.Pow(Time.time,2))

so when ball is in air to start it has no force only gravity...

when it hits the floor i get the velocity
downVelocity = Mathf.Sqrt((2 * (9.8 * startingHeight)))
then i work out the new velocity (here is my problem)
newVelocity = COR * downVelocity <<<so I am saying my ball imiates a tennis ball which cor is 0.75 this correct?

then i say my force now will be the new velocity in which it slows down the speed of the bounce?

No.

bboyzeez said:
velocity = force + gravity * (Mathf.Pow(Time.time,2))
This should be velocity = velocityInitial - gravity * Time.time (with positive velocity representing upwards motion which is the usual convention).

bboyzeez said:
newVelocity = COR * downVelocity <<<so I am saying my ball imiates a tennis ball which cor is 0.75 this correct?
Due to the change of direction this should be newVelocity = (- COR * downVelocity)

bboyzeez said:
then i say my force now will be the new velocity in which it slows down the speed of the bounce?
No, gravity is the force which slows down the speed of the bounce according to the equation above.

There are other equations which may be useful, try googling "coefficient of restitution" and "suvat equations" ("suvat" refers to standard abbreviations where s is distance, u is initial velocity, v is velocity, a is acceleration and t is time).

Likes 1 person
oh ye forgot to mention my axis is inverted but i understand what you meant :) the ball now bounces up and gets a lower bounce height until it comes to a stop but its speed of how it moves is always the same... how do you make it go slower on the bounce back up?

ok so this is where I am at...

What is the velocity after the bounce? Use the COR:

vi=(COR)(vf)So this is the initial velocity of the second bounce. How high does it get? Again use the conservation of energy, but the other way around:

12mv2=mgh⟹h0=v2i/2gThis is how high up the second bounce gets. What is the formula for this flight? Same as before:

h=h0−12gt2... so i drop a ball(mass 5kg) from 30m high straight down...i use the formula to work out the downward velocity which I am getting is 24.26108 and then the formual above to work out upward (assuming the cor of my ball is 0.75) and i get upward velocity of 18.19581. the formula to work out next height gives me the next height is at 16.875. so now i want to send the ball back up but when i enter the upward velocity is just shoots up very fast...

how do you make it so it slowly loses all speed as it reaches its new height so it looks realistic? incase above is hard to follow ill write out nicer here

ball(mass) = 5kg
gravity = 9.81
starting height = 30m
COR = 0.75
downward velocity = 24.26108
upward velocity = 18.19581
newHeight = 16.875

possibly is it air resistance that slows a ball down when traveling upwards?

bboyzeez said:
possibly is it air resistance that slows a ball down when traveling upwards?

Gravity is acting to slow the ball when it's moving upward... If the ball bounces up from the ground at time ##T## with upwards speed ##V## its upward speed at later times will be ##V-g(t-T)##.

Air resistance is only a secondary effect; it's gravity that reduces the vertical component of velocity and gives the familiar parabolic trajectory. The horizontal component of velocity will not change on a smooth surface but COR tells you how much the vertical component changes.
The bounces will 'look' ok without any other computations but adding a small speed reduction in flight, proportional to, say, the square of the speed and a small horizontal velocity reduction per bounce will make things look better. Do it in stages and you can enjoy the process more.

thanks i just got home so will spend next few hours getting it to work better thanks

Related to Trying to understand the bouncing ball

1. What is the physics behind the bouncing ball?

The physics behind the bouncing ball can be explained by the principles of motion, gravity, and elasticity. When the ball is dropped, it accelerates towards the ground due to the force of gravity. When it hits the ground, the ball compresses and then rebounds due to its elastic properties. This process repeats until the ball comes to a stop.

2. How does the surface affect the bounciness of the ball?

The surface of the bouncing ball plays a crucial role in determining its bounciness. A soft or uneven surface will absorb more energy, resulting in a lower bounce. On the other hand, a hard and smooth surface will reflect more energy, resulting in a higher bounce. The type of surface also affects the ball's spin and direction of the bounce.

3. Is the height of the bounce proportional to the initial drop height?

No, the height of the bounce is not always proportional to the initial drop height. The initial drop height determines the potential energy of the ball, but other factors such as air resistance, surface type, and temperature can also affect the height of the bounce. The height of the bounce also decreases with each bounce due to energy loss from friction and air resistance.

4. Can the mass of the ball affect its bouncing ability?

Yes, the mass of the ball can affect its bouncing ability. A heavier ball will have more inertia and will not bounce as high as a lighter ball. However, other factors such as the elasticity of the ball and the surface it bounces on also play a significant role in its bouncing ability.

5. Why does the ball eventually come to a stop?

The ball eventually comes to a stop due to the loss of energy. Each time the ball bounces, it loses energy to friction and air resistance. As the ball's height decreases with each bounce, so does its potential energy. Eventually, the ball will stop bouncing and come to a rest on the ground, where its kinetic energy is dissipated into the surface.