Trying to remember an unusual quantum textbook

In summary, the process of trying to remember an unusual quantum textbook can be challenging and requires a strong understanding of quantum mechanics. The textbook may present complex concepts and theories that are not typically found in traditional textbooks, making it difficult to recall specific details. However, with dedicated studying and practice, one can successfully grasp the material and remember the key points of the unusual quantum textbook. It may also be helpful to seek assistance from a professor or colleague who has experience with the subject matter. Overall, while it may be a difficult task, the reward of mastering an unusual quantum textbook can greatly enhance one's understanding and appreciation of quantum mechanics.
Muu9
Not sure whether it was a quantum physics, quantum information, or quantum computing textbook

It spent the first few chapters/sections developing some sort of model theory in a very elementary context, in which (multi)functions were represented as boxes and outputs/inputs were represented as lines.

It had two authors from a UK institution (maybe Oxford or Cambridge?) and was published recently (2019 I think)

Physics news on Phys.org
jedishrfu said:
Could it be Susskind's Theoretical Minimum on QM?

It has two authors and starts out with a simple qubit state system, but it was written in 2014.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0465062903/?tag=pfamazon01-20
Nope, I would have remembered Susskind

Last edited by a moderator:
Here’s what ChatGPT says (edit: I’m not even sure it’s a real book)Hi chatgpt I have a question. I’m looking for a book, maybe quantum information, maybe quantum computing, from authors at a UK institution, authored sometime around 2019. The first few chapters develop a model theory using boxes and arrows in the diagrams
Hello! I'll do my best to help you find the book you're looking for. Based on your description, it's possible that you're referring to the book "Quantum Theory, Information and Foundations" by Gerard J. Milburn and Oleg M. Maroney. This book was published in 2019 and is focused on the foundations of quantum theory, including quantum information and quantum computing.
The book uses diagrams with boxes and arrows to explain concepts in quantum information and computation. It covers topics such as quantum gates, quantum algorithms, quantum error correction, and more. Gerard J. Milburn is a physicist and professor at the University of Queensland in Australia, and Oleg M. Maroney is a researcher in quantum information science who has worked at institutions in the UK, including the University of Oxford.
However, please note that the book's content may not be limited to model theory with boxes and arrows, as there may be other diagrams and concepts covered in the book as well. It's always a good idea to double-check the book's contents and reviews to make sure it meets your specific requirements.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Likes Demystifier
TeethWhitener said:
Here’s what ChatGPT says (edit: I’m not even sure it’s a real book)Hi chatgpt I have a question. I’m looking for a book, maybe quantum information, maybe quantum computing, from authors at a UK institution, authored sometime around 2019. The first few chapters develop a model theory using boxes and arrows in the diagrams
Hello! I'll do my best to help you find the book you're looking for. Based on your description, it's possible that you're referring to the book "Quantum Theory, Information and Foundations" by Gerard J. Milburn and Oleg M. Maroney. This book was published in 2019 and is focused on the foundations of quantum theory, including quantum information and quantum computing.
The book uses diagrams with boxes and arrows to explain concepts in quantum information and computation. It covers topics such as quantum gates, quantum algorithms, quantum error correction, and more. Gerard J. Milburn is a physicist and professor at the University of Queensland in Australia, and Oleg M. Maroney is a researcher in quantum information science who has worked at institutions in the UK, including the University of Oxford.
However, please note that the book's content may not be limited to model theory with boxes and arrows, as there may be other diagrams and concepts covered in the book as well. It's always a good idea to double-check the book's contents and reviews to make sure it meets your specific requirements.
I don't think that book even exists... 😂

• Haha
Likes Vanadium 50, berkeman and TeethWhitener
But, in a very quantum-ish way, if it did exist, it would be your book.

Have you looked at the Oxbridge faculty list and see if any name triggers memories? That would be more reliable and potentially faster than CrapGPT.

• Haha
Likes vanhees71 and berkeman
Likes berkeman, Demystifier, dlgoff and 2 others
Frabjous said:
How about this?
Picturing Quantum Processes by Coecke and Kissinger
https://www.amazon.com/dp/110710422X/?tag=pfamazon01-20
If you enjoy it D'Ariano et al's "Quantum Theory from First Principles" uses a similar diagramatic approach but is more concise and rigorous.

Likes dextercioby

1. What is a quantum textbook?

A quantum textbook is a type of textbook that explains concepts and principles related to quantum mechanics, which is a branch of physics that studies the behavior of matter and energy at a very small scale.

2. Why is it difficult to remember an unusual quantum textbook?

Unusual quantum textbooks may cover complex and abstract concepts that are not commonly encountered in everyday life. This can make it challenging to remember the information presented in the textbook.

3. How can I improve my memory of an unusual quantum textbook?

Some strategies for improving memory of an unusual quantum textbook include taking notes, summarizing key points, and actively engaging with the material through practice problems or discussions with others.

4. Are there any tips for understanding an unusual quantum textbook?

Some tips for understanding an unusual quantum textbook include breaking down the material into smaller, more manageable chunks, seeking clarification from a teacher or tutor, and using visual aids or diagrams to help visualize the concepts.

5. How can I apply the information from an unusual quantum textbook in real life?

The principles and concepts presented in an unusual quantum textbook can have practical applications in fields such as engineering, technology, and medicine. Understanding these concepts can also help expand one's understanding of the natural world and how it functions at a fundamental level.