Trying to reconstruct an accident

• Thread starter bilbozilla
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Accident
In summary, a vehicle left the roadway at an initial elevation of 0 feet and crashed into a tree, leaving the final elevation at -25 feet and a distance of 55 feet from the roadway. The weight of the vehicle is 3,100# with driver. Using the given information, the estimated initial velocity would be 13.45m/s or 48.3kph. However, this is based on ideal conditions and does not take into account other factors such as the angle of exit from the roadway. More information on the accident would be needed for a more accurate calculation.
bilbozilla
Hello all,

Here's the data I have -

Initial Elevation : 0 feet
Final elevation: -25 feet
Distance from roadway: 55 feet

Assuming the tree that was hit didn't lessen the velocity, and the vehicle didn't bounce, what would the velocity have been at the time the vehicle left the roadway at initial elevation?

How would I calculate the velocity? This is not a homework problem. I've got the totaled car to prove it. (Nobody was hurt) The rear-engine layout caused the vehicle to spin and the car went off rear-first.

Physics news on Phys.org
First, you need a professional accident reconstructor, not some guys you met on the internet.

Second, we knew this wasn't a homework problem. You provided no information on what happened - just three numbers.

This is a mental exercise for back-of-the-napkin calculations, nothing more. It is certainly not going to be used for anything other than a brief sanity check.

What other information do you need? I have gravity, which is constant, the hight, and the distance. Here are some more numbers.

The weight of the vehicle is 3,100# with driver. I didn't think about that one. What other variables do you need to get a rough estimate (again, just for kicks) of the velocity.

Weight of vehicle is not needed. Initial height, final height and distance should be enough to calc velocity. But there are many other factors, such as angle of exit from roadway. However, taking it at face-value, I get:

a = 9.8 m/s^2
d(y) = 7.625m
t=?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equations_for_a_falling_body#Overview"
t = sqrt(2 x 7.625 / 9.8)
t = 1.247s
This is duration of fall.

To travel 55ft (total displacement, not perpendicluar to roadway) in 1.247s would indicate an initial velocity of 13.45m/s or 48.3kph.

Again, this is an ideal scenario. It is of little use unless the scenario was textbook.

Last edited by a moderator:
DaveC426913 said:
t = sqrt(2d/g)
t = sqrt(2 x 7.625 / 9.8)
t = 1.556s
This is duration of fall.

I think you forgot to take the square root

sqrt(2 x 7.625 / 9.8) = 1.247

What you really need is a description of what happened. Apparently a tree is involved?

willem2 said:
I think you forgot to take the square root

sqrt(2 x 7.625 / 9.8) = 1.247

Thanks. Post fixed.

Vanadium 50 said:
What you really need is a description of what happened. Apparently a tree is involved?

I'm assuming the tree has marks on it that are 25 vertical feet below the road surface and that the tree is 55 horizontal feet from the spot where the car left the ground.

My assumption is implicit in saying this is a textbook calculation, given nothing but the numbers. If the poster wants to provide more detail, he's welcome to do so.

Related to Trying to reconstruct an accident

1. What is the purpose of reconstructing an accident?

The purpose of reconstructing an accident is to determine the sequence of events that led to the accident and the factors that contributed to it. This information can be used to identify potential hazards and prevent similar accidents from occurring in the future.

2. How do scientists reconstruct an accident?

Scientists reconstruct an accident by gathering evidence such as witness testimonies, physical evidence from the scene, and data from vehicles or other equipment involved. They also use mathematical and scientific principles to analyze the evidence and create a logical sequence of events.

3. What types of accidents can be reconstructed?

Accidents of all types can be reconstructed, including car accidents, workplace accidents, and even natural disasters. As long as there is evidence available, scientists can reconstruct and analyze any type of accident.

4. How accurate are accident reconstructions?

The accuracy of an accident reconstruction depends on the quality and amount of evidence available. The more evidence that is gathered and analyzed, the more accurate the reconstruction will be. However, it is important to keep in mind that accident reconstructions are not always 100% accurate and are subject to interpretation.

5. Can accident reconstructions be used in legal proceedings?

Yes, accident reconstructions can be used as evidence in legal proceedings. They can provide valuable insights into the cause of an accident and can be used to support or refute claims made by witnesses or involved parties. However, the weight of the reconstruction as evidence may vary depending on the specific circumstances of the case.