Trying to increase the voltage out of a photodiode.

In summary, the conversation discusses the need for a way to interface a circuit with an impulse of ~200mV and ~50nA for 0.15 seconds, at a voltage of 1V+. The person is looking for a solution that does not require a constantly powered opamp, and mentions the possibility of using a relay or FET with a gate threshold in the millivolt range. However, they are unable to find a suitable option and are open to other suggestions, as long as it can operate at a low voltage level. The conversation also mentions the possibility of using a photodiode, as well as low power opamps and charge pumps as alternative solutions.
gittenlucky
I have an impulse of ~200mV, ~50nA for about 0.15 seconds. To interface with my circuit, I need it to be 1V+. The problem is, I don't want to use an opamp, or something else that needs to be constantly powered. An ideal solution would be a relay or a FET that has a gate threshold in the millivolt range. However, I can't find anything similar to this. I have power available, but I do not want it to be used until the impulse occurs. Are there any other options for me at this low voltage level?

Engineering news on Phys.org
gittenlucky said:
I have an impulse of ~200mV, ~50nA for about 0.15 seconds. To interface with my circuit, I need it to be 1V+. The problem is, I don't want to use an opamp, or something else that needs to be constantly powered. An ideal solution would be a relay or a FET that has a gate threshold in the millivolt range. However, I can't find anything similar to this. I have power available, but I do not want it to be used until the impulse occurs. Are there any other options for me at this low voltage level?

The output from a photodiode is a photocurrent. Are you getting that 200mV by putting the 50nA through a 4 MegOhm resistor?

How often do the pulses occur? Do you need to know the pulse width, or is it okay if you just get a trigger signal for each pulse?

There are also some very low power opamps that may do what you want...

Looks like Maxim has some with supply currents in the 20uA range...

http://www.maximintegrated.com/products/amp_comp/low_power/

Depends upon your application.
One option might be a charge pump.

Get a micro power op-amp!

yungman said:
Get a micro power op-amp!

Great minds think alike :biggrin:

berkeman said:
Great minds think alike :biggrin:

Thanks, I take it as a big compliment.:biggrin:

Related to Trying to increase the voltage out of a photodiode.

What is a photodiode?

A photodiode is a type of semiconductor device that converts light energy into electrical energy. It is made up of a p-n junction, which creates a depletion region that allows for the flow of current when exposed to light.

Why would someone want to increase the voltage output of a photodiode?

Increasing the voltage output of a photodiode can improve the sensitivity of the device, making it more responsive to low levels of light. This can be especially useful in applications such as light detection or solar energy harvesting.

How can the voltage output of a photodiode be increased?

There are a few ways to increase the voltage output of a photodiode. One method is to use a higher supply voltage, as the output voltage of a photodiode is directly proportional to the input voltage. Another way is to use a transimpedance amplifier, which converts the current output of the photodiode into a proportional voltage output.

What are some potential challenges when trying to increase the voltage output of a photodiode?

One potential challenge is that increasing the supply voltage may also increase the noise level, which can affect the accuracy of the voltage output. Additionally, using a transimpedance amplifier may require careful circuit design to prevent instability or oscillations.

Are there any limitations to how much the voltage output of a photodiode can be increased?

Yes, there are limitations to how much the voltage output of a photodiode can be increased. Increasing the supply voltage too much can cause the photodiode to become damaged. Additionally, the maximum voltage output will also be limited by the material properties and design of the photodiode itself.