Trying to find the infinite sum of e^-x using integration

In summary, the conversation is about using the ratio method and sum formula to solve for a problem involving a summation and integrals. However, it is determined that the Riemann integral definition cannot be used due to the value of 1/m not being dependent on n.
Amad27
Hello,

I am well aware of the ratio method, and the sum = 1/(1-r) but I want to try this method.

I am trying to understand this:

[itex]\displaystyle \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} e^{-n}[/itex] using integrals, what I have though:

[itex]= \displaystyle \lim_{m\to\infty} \sum_{n=1}^{m} e^{-n}

= \displaystyle \lim_{m\to\infty} \frac{1}{m}\sum_{n=1}^{m} me^{-n}[/itex]

So, suppose this is an right-hand Riemann sum, with $m$ *Equal* subintervals.

[itex]f(x_i) = me^{-n}[/itex] represents the *height* of the function, we will have the integral for.

[itex]\Delta(x) = \frac{1}{m}[/itex]

But, How can this be represented as an integral?

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi! I'm new here at PF ^^

I believe you're not going to be able to use the Riemann integral definition with a summation of that form. You are trying to use 1/m as the ##\Delta x ## in the definition of the Riemann sum:

## \sum_{n=0}^\infty f(x) \Delta x ##

However 1/m cannot be a difference of two coordinates ## x_{n} - x_{n-1} ##

Related to Trying to find the infinite sum of e^-x using integration

1. What is the formula for the infinite sum of e^-x using integration?

The formula for the infinite sum of e^-x using integration is given by:

n=0∞ e^-nx = 1/(1-e^-x)

This formula can be derived by using the power series expansion of e^-x and integrating term by term.

2. How does one use integration to find the infinite sum of e^-x?

To find the infinite sum of e^-x using integration, you can use the formula mentioned above. You can also use the method of geometric series, where you rewrite e^-x as (1-e^-x)/(1-e^-x) and then apply the formula for the sum of a geometric series.

3. What are the applications of finding the infinite sum of e^-x using integration?

The infinite sum of e^-x is used in various fields of science and engineering, such as in the study of heat transfer, diffusion processes, and electrical circuits. It is also used in probability and statistics to calculate the cumulative distribution function for the exponential distribution.

4. Can the infinite sum of e^-x using integration be evaluated for any value of x?

Yes, the infinite sum of e^-x can be evaluated for any value of x. However, it may not converge for certain values of x, in which case the sum is said to be divergent. For example, if x is a negative real number, the sum will converge, but if x is a positive real number, the sum will be divergent.

5. Are there any alternative methods to find the infinite sum of e^-x other than integration?

Yes, there are other methods to find the infinite sum of e^-x, such as using the Taylor series expansion or using the properties of the exponential function. However, integration is often the most efficient and straightforward method to find the sum.