Trying to find orbital velocity based off of height

In summary, the Titan IV rocket put the spacecraft in circular orbit around Earth at an altitude of 350 km. The orbital velocity is 7674.861 m/s.
kasra12321

Homework Statement

A Titan IV rocket has put your spacecraft in circular orbit around Earth at an altitude of 397 km. What is your orbital velocity? Give your answer in m/s.

Homework Equations

http://as370.socialhwk.com/engr370i/ch04/ch4_3/IMG00015.GIF
http://as370.socialhwk.com/engr370i/ch04/ch4_3/IMG00016.GIF

The Attempt at a Solution

I have been attempting to take the online midterm for the class but I have been having issues. Every answer I have inputed for the first question comes out as incorrect.
When using this formula and substituting 500km for 397km for the midterm I get: 7688.328079. I have tried inputing this in as many variations as possible but am told it is incorrect every time.

I have also tried using an online orbital velocity calculator to confirm my math and I receive the answer 7673.24507 which also does not work.

I'm completely stuck and cannot progress with the test. I was wondering if there was something I was doing wrong or if there was an issue with the midterm.
also if it helps, the professor has included a midterm review which he has posted a similar problem with the answer, but not how he got the answer:

A Titan IV rocket has put your spacecraft in circular orbit around Earth at an altitude of 350 km. What is your orbital velocity? Give your answer in m/s.

Answer: V = 7697.5 m/s

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Try using GM = 398600 km^3/s^2 for Earth to calculate orbital velocity.

V will have units of km/s, so convert to m/s

SteamKing said:
Try using GM = 398600 km^3/s^2 for Earth to calculate orbital velocity.

V will have units of km/s, so convert to m/s

if i did it right, i got 7.674861 km/s or 7674.861 m/s, however, it is telling me it is also wrong...

Looks to me that you're just a bit inaccurate somewhere. Using GM = 3.98E14 I get:
397km: 7673 m/s
500km: 7615m/s
350km: 7700m/s

Hmm, but what i don't understand is, you got 7700 m/s for 350 and for the example problem, it says 7697.5. Is the teacher doing something differently?

kasra12321 said:
Hmm, but what i don't understand is, you got 7700 m/s for 350 and for the example problem, it says 7697.5. Is the teacher doing something differently?
That's only a 0.03% difference (2.5km). The radius of the Earth is not that precisely definable - it varies by 30km. I would argue that 7697.5 is wrong in that it overstates the precision.

Yea i understand what you mean, but the problem is that the test is online and unless I get the precise answer, I can't move on to the next question. which is a terrible system. I guess I need to find out what constants the professor used to reach that number in the example problem.

i ended up solving backwards for the constant he used and got 6,400^3. I used that in the problem and got the right answer. Thanks for the help though.

Related to Trying to find orbital velocity based off of height

1. What is orbital velocity?

Orbital velocity is the speed at which an object must travel in order to maintain a stable orbit around another object, such as a planet or a star.

2. How is orbital velocity related to height?

The orbital velocity of an object increases as its height above the surface of the planet or star decreases. This is because the gravitational force exerted by the larger object is stronger at lower heights, requiring a higher velocity to counteract it and maintain the orbit.

3. What is the formula for calculating orbital velocity?

The formula for calculating orbital velocity is V = √(GM/R), where V is the orbital velocity, G is the gravitational constant, M is the mass of the larger object, and R is the distance between the centers of the two objects.

4. Can the orbital velocity be greater than the speed of light?

No, according to the laws of physics, the speed of light is the maximum speed that any object can travel. Therefore, the orbital velocity of an object cannot exceed the speed of light.

5. How is orbital velocity different from escape velocity?

Orbital velocity is the speed needed to maintain a stable orbit around an object, while escape velocity is the speed needed to completely escape the gravitational pull of that object. Orbital velocity is typically lower than escape velocity for a given object and height.