Trying to find inverse laplace transforms for some problems

In summary: I started by finding the Laplace transform of the input function and then used the inverse to get the output function.
Turion

Homework Statement

$${ { L } }^{ -1 }\{ \frac { s }{ { ({ s }^{ 2 }+1) }^{ 2 } } \} +{ { L } }^{ -1 }\{ \frac { 1 }{ { ({ s }^{ 2 }+1) }^{ 2 } } \}$$

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I used ##{ { L } }\{ { t }^{ n }f(t)\} ={ (-1) }^{ n }\frac { { d }^{ n } }{ d{ s }^{ n } } { { L } }\{ f(t)\}## to do the laplace transform but how would I approach the inverse? If you just decide to do the inverse of ##{ { L } }\{ { t }^{ n }f(t)\} ={ (-1) }^{ n }\frac { { d }^{ n } }{ d{ s }^{ n } } { { L } }\{ f(t)\}##, can you explain how you knew how you identified to do that?

Physics news on Phys.org
Turion said:

Homework Statement

$${ { L } }^{ -1 }\{ \frac { s }{ { ({ s }^{ 2 }+1) }^{ 2 } } \} +{ { L } }^{ -1 }\{ \frac { 1 }{ { ({ s }^{ 2 }+1) }^{ 2 } } \}$$

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I used ##{ { L } }\{ { t }^{ n }f(t)\} ={ (-1) }^{ n }\frac { { d }^{ n } }{ d{ s }^{ n } } { { L } }\{ f(t)\}## to do the laplace transform but how would I approach the inverse? If you just decide to do the inverse of ##{ { L } }\{ { t }^{ n }f(t)\} ={ (-1) }^{ n }\frac { { d }^{ n } }{ d{ s }^{ n } } { { L } }\{ f(t)\}##, can you explain how you knew how you identified to do that?

Think about convolution vs the product of transforms.

First, you need to have a clear definition of the Laplace Transform. The Laplace Transform takes a function and maps it into another function. It is defined as

## Lf(t) \equiv F(s) = \int_0^{ \infty} e^{-st}f(t)dt ##

If you look at this integral, you see that the integration is with respect to t, so the s is essentially a constant that floats along with the computation. The t's are going to disappear when you evaluate the integral, and you are going to be left with a function in s.

Turning an f(t) into F(s) is relatively easy in the case of most of the f's that you would be interested in, and only requires the ability to integrate by some method or another.

But you were asked to do the reverse. You were handed F(s) and asked what f(t) generated it. This is the hard part.

To get started people work through a list of common f(t)'s and what F(s) they map into on the Laplace side. Then when you are handed the Laplace side F(s) you could go to your list and hope you find it there.

I feel that your attempted solution indicates some confusion about the whole thing, so I would like to recommend that you start by computing the Laplace transforms of a couple of common functions f(t) to see what F(s) comes out. Might I suggest you try f(t) = t [use integration by parts] and f(t) = tsint [use the exponential form of sint, and then integrate by parts].

This will give you a couple of F(s) and you should think about them for awhile. Could either of these functions be adjusted so that they come out the the F(s) you were given? If not, what other functions might you try? Were you given any material in your class or your textbook that would help you?

I got it.

I applied the inverse of the convolution theorem.

Related to Trying to find inverse laplace transforms for some problems

What is an inverse Laplace transform?

An inverse Laplace transform is a mathematical operation that is used to find the original function from its Laplace transform. It is essentially the reverse process of taking a Laplace transform.

Why do we need to find inverse Laplace transforms?

Inverse Laplace transforms are necessary to solve problems in mathematics, engineering, and physics that involve differential equations. They allow us to obtain the original function from its Laplace transform, which is often easier to work with.

How do you find inverse Laplace transforms?

To find an inverse Laplace transform, we use a table of standard Laplace transforms and their corresponding inverse transforms, along with algebraic manipulation and properties of Laplace transforms. We may also use partial fraction decomposition and the convolution property in some cases.

What are some common techniques for finding inverse Laplace transforms?

Some common techniques for finding inverse Laplace transforms include using partial fraction decomposition, the convolution property, and the Laplace transform table. Other techniques such as the residue theorem and the method of Laplace inverses can also be used for more complex functions.

Are there any limitations to finding inverse Laplace transforms?

Yes, there are some functions for which we cannot find an inverse Laplace transform using standard techniques. These are known as improper functions and require more advanced techniques such as the Bromwich integral or contour integration to find their inverse transforms.