Trying to calculate the forces in a rugby scrum

• Thread starter Zacski
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Forces
In summary, the impact of two sides of a rugby scrum coming together can be compared to a truck hitting a slightly smaller truck. The two packs, weighing 850kg and 910kg respectively, accelerate over half a metre and come to a relatively complete stop on impact. The rate of acceleration can be estimated at 2m/s^2 and the final speed reached at the point of impact is approximately 1.4m/s or 5km/h.
Zacski
Hi there, my wife just asked me how hard the impact is when two sides of a rugby scrum come together. I think she's looking for a "like when a truck hits a slightly smaller truck" answer, but now I'm really interested. We're watching Japan v New Zealand at the world cup and the two scrum weights are 850kg and 910kg respectively. They stand a metre apart (at least according to the rules) and so each pack accelerates over half a metre then come to a relatively complete stop on impact.

I understand F=ma and the conservation of momentum, but I trip up when I try to work out the rate of acceleration and the final speed reached at point of impact.

Physics news on Phys.org
According to https://sportsscientists.com/2008/08/beijing-2008-men-100m-race-analysis/a top athlete running the 100-m dash covers the first 10 meters in 1.85 s. Assuming constant acceleration from zero initial speed, you have
$$d=\frac{1}{2}at^2~\rightarrow~a=\frac{2d}{t^2}=\frac{2\times 10~\rm{m}}{1.85^2 \rm{s^2}}=5.8 \rm{m/s^2}$$
Of course the rugby players are not top Olympic athletes starting from a sprinter's stance and furthermore they all start moving as one. So let's guess that their acceleration is about, ##2~\rm{m/s^2}##.
Using the equation relating distance, acceleration and speed you can find the final speed after moving by 0.5 m:
$$2a\Delta x=v^2-0^2~\rightarrow~v=\sqrt{2a\Delta x}=\sqrt{2\times 2~\rm{m/s^2}\times 0.5~\rm{m}}=1.4~\rm{m/s}=5~\rm{km/h}.$$

Related to Trying to calculate the forces in a rugby scrum

1. What are the main forces involved in a rugby scrum?

The main forces involved in a rugby scrum are the push and pull forces exerted by the players in the scrum, as well as the downward force of the players' bodyweight.

2. How do you calculate the total force in a rugby scrum?

The total force in a rugby scrum can be calculated by adding up the individual forces exerted by each player in the scrum.

3. What factors can affect the forces in a rugby scrum?

The main factors that can affect the forces in a rugby scrum include the strength and technique of the players, the angle and position of the scrum, and the surface and weather conditions.

4. Why is it important to calculate the forces in a rugby scrum?

Calculating the forces in a rugby scrum can provide valuable information for coaches and players to analyze and improve their scrum technique, and also to ensure the safety of the players involved.

5. Is there a standard formula for calculating the forces in a rugby scrum?

There is no standard formula for calculating the forces in a rugby scrum, as it can vary depending on the specific conditions and variables involved. However, there are various methods and equations that can be used to estimate the forces exerted in a scrum.