Truss/equilibrium homework help

• Thread starter amyparker30
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Homework
In summary, the question asks to find the downward force exerted by a symmetric horizontal truss of mass 15,000 kg and total length 22m, placed on two posts. The solution involves summing torques about each support post and using Newton's first law in the y direction. The calculated forces for the right and left posts are approximately 83000 N and 64000 N respectively.
amyparker30

Homework Statement

A horizontal truss, symmetric around its center, of mass 15,000 kg and total length 22m, is placed on two posts as shown in the figure
Find the downward force that it exerts on each post.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

do i just take the force (weight and multiply it by distances?)

I have no clue

can someone give me a hint?

Attachments

• Untkkitled.jpg
    Untkkitled.jpg
    7.8 KB · Views: 590
Physics news on Phys.org

please!>!>!>

do I calculate torque?

amyparker30 said:
do I calculate torque?
Yes, sum torques about one of the support posts = 0 to calculate the force reaction of the other post. Do the same thing in summing torques = 0 about the other post to calculate the force reaction of the first post. Check your work using Newton 1 (the equilibrium condition) in the y direction.

Note: In actuality, a truss should never be supported this way, the supports should be located at a joint. Doesn't change your answer. though.

do these answers make sense??

so F Right post= 82771.875 N

and F Left post = 64378.125 N

amyparker30 said:
do these answers make sense??

so F Right post= 82771.875 N

and F Left post = 64378.125 N
Almost spot on! :cool: I say almost, because there should be just 2 significant figures in your answer. Implying Force right post = 83000 N, and F Left post = 64000 N. Or something like that. At least, get rid of the decimal points! :smile:

thanks so much for your help!

you are very welcome!

Related to Truss/equilibrium homework help

1. What is a truss and how does it relate to equilibrium?

A truss is a structure made up of interconnected bars or beams that are designed to support loads and maintain stability. In terms of equilibrium, a truss is in a state of balance when all of its joints are in equilibrium, meaning the forces acting on each joint are equal and opposite.

2. How do I determine the forces acting on a truss?

To determine the forces acting on a truss, you will need to use the principles of static equilibrium. This involves drawing a free body diagram of the truss and applying the equations of equilibrium (sum of forces and sum of moments) to solve for the unknown forces.

3. Can you explain the difference between a statically determinate and statically indeterminate truss?

A statically determinate truss is one in which all of the forces can be determined using the equations of equilibrium. This means that the number of unknown forces is equal to the number of equations available. A statically indeterminate truss, on the other hand, has more unknown forces than equations, making it more complex to determine the forces.

4. What are some common assumptions made when analyzing a truss?

When analyzing a truss, some common assumptions that are made include: the truss is loaded only at its joints, the truss members are connected by frictionless pins, and all loads are applied at the joints in the form of forces.

5. Are there any software programs available to help with truss analysis?

Yes, there are many software programs available that can help with truss analysis, such as SAP2000, STAAD.Pro, and RISA-3D. These programs use advanced algorithms to quickly and accurately analyze truss structures, taking into account factors such as material properties and load distributions.