Truck vs Tree (first week physics woes)

In summary, the truck strikes the tree with an initial speed of 26.617 m/s and a final speed of 3.097 m/s. The truck slows down uniformly with an acceleration of -5.60 m/s2 for 4.20 seconds, leaving skid marks 62.4m long before hitting the tree.
youagain
1. The driver of a truck slams on the brakes when he sees a tree blocking the road. The truck slows down uniformly with an acceleration of -5.60 m/s2 for 4.20s making skid marks 62.4m long that end at the tree. With what speed does the truck strike the tree?

Homework Equations

I'm guessing that I have to use Vf2-Vo2=2as?

I'm really not sure... I've been staring at this problem for hours, is It a trick question? Does it even hit the tree?

Physics news on Phys.org
You need

[tex]
x = x_0 + v_0 t + (1/2) a t^2
[/tex]

you know everyting except for the initial speed.

Man i am defenitly going to need to work on knowing which formulas are for which... ummm using that...x=vo2+1/2at2
vo2= x-1/2at2
So vo = square root x-1/2at2square root of 62.4-(-5.6x4.22)/2= 10.573

So he hits the tree at 10.58 m/s?EDIT: Wait did I miss out a t? let me try that again...

x-(1/2)at2/t=vo

62.4-(1/2)-5.6x4.22
/4.2

=

26.617 m/s

So that's his initial speed right?

I still don't understand how to get his final speed?

Wait V=Vo+at

so 26.617+(-5.6x4.2) = 3.097

does he hit the tree at 3.097 m/s?

Be careful with your rearranging. If

[tex]x=v_0t+\frac{1}{2}at^2[/tex]

then

[tex]v_0=\frac{1}{t}\Big(x-\frac{1}{2}at^2\Big)=\frac{x}{t}-\frac{1}{2}at[/tex]

I think its just my formating making it look wrong? is 26.617 m/s the right answer?

Related to Truck vs Tree (first week physics woes)

1. How does a truck colliding with a tree affect the physics of the situation?

The impact of a truck colliding with a tree involves several physics concepts, including momentum, force, and kinetic energy. The truck's momentum and velocity before impact will determine the force exerted on the tree, while the tree's rigidity and mass will determine the amount of force it can withstand. The collision will also result in a transfer of energy between the truck and tree, with some energy being dissipated as sound and heat.

2. What factors contribute to the severity of a truck vs tree collision?

The severity of a truck vs tree collision can be influenced by several factors, including the speed and mass of the truck, the rigidity and size of the tree, and the angle and location of impact. Additionally, weather conditions, such as wet or icy roads, can also play a role in the severity of the collision.

3. Can the physics of a truck vs tree collision be predicted?

While certain aspects of a truck vs tree collision can be predicted, such as the amount of force exerted, it is impossible to accurately predict the exact outcome of the collision. This is due to the variability of factors such as the condition of the truck and tree, as well as the precise angle and location of impact.

4. How can the physics of a truck vs tree collision be measured and analyzed?

The physics of a truck vs tree collision can be measured and analyzed through various methods, such as using sensors and cameras to capture data during the collision, and then using mathematical equations and models to analyze the data. This can provide insights into the forces and energies involved in the collision, as well as the potential damage and injuries that may occur.

5. Are there any safety measures that can be taken to reduce the impact of a truck vs tree collision?

There are several safety measures that can be taken to reduce the impact of a truck vs tree collision. These include implementing speed limits, using safety features such as airbags and seatbelts in the truck, and planting trees at a safe distance from roads. Additionally, regular maintenance and inspections of vehicles and trees can also help prevent collisions from occurring.