Truck Incline FBD: Check My Answers and Identify External Forces

The only external forces acting on the truck are the force going uphill and the regenerative breaking force while going downhill. In summary, the conversation discusses the correct placement of forces on a free body diagram for a truck going up an incline and down a hill. It is noted that the truck has a load only when going up the incline and that it is rear-wheel drive with regenerative breaking. The equations involve determining the correct placement of forces and their effects on the truck. The solution confirms that the forces were drawn correctly.
dlee45

Homework Statement

I want to know if I drew this free body diagram correctly.

Information about the problem:
1:The truck has a load which is the black park as it goes up the incline. It doesn't have a load when it goes down the hill.
2:The truck is rear wheel driven.
3:The truck has regenerative breaking used when it goes back down the hill.
4:The wheels do not slip.
5: This assignment is just identifying only the external forces on the truck.

Homework Equations

1: Did I draw the Force going uphill in the right area? I put it on the rear wheel since it's rear wheel drive. However, I feel like it just might go in front of the car.
2: The front breaks have regenerative breaking when the car is going downhill. What type of force is acting on the front wheel? And how does it effect the rest of the car ?
3: And in general did I draw all the forces correctly?

The Attempt at a Solution

FBD_Truck.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
1: Yes, the force going uphill should be placed on the rear wheel since it is rear-wheel drive. The force of the motor will be distributed to both the rear and front wheels, but the majority of the power will be transferred to the rear wheel for better traction.2: The regenerative breaking used when going downhill acts as a resistive force that helps to slow down the truck by converting kinetic energy into electrical energy. This force will act on both the rear and front wheels, but will mainly be felt at the front wheels since they are closer to the motor and have more contact with the ground. 3: Yes, you have drawn all the external forces correctly.

Related to Truck Incline FBD: Check My Answers and Identify External Forces

1. What is an FBD for a truck on an incline?

An FBD, or free body diagram, is a visual representation of all the forces acting on an object. In the case of a truck on an incline, the FBD would show the forces of gravity, normal force, and friction that are acting upon the truck.

2. Why is it important to check the answers for a truck incline FBD?

It is important to check the answers for a truck incline FBD to ensure that all the forces have been correctly identified and accounted for. This helps to verify the accuracy of the FBD and the subsequent calculations.

3. What are the common mistakes made when drawing a truck incline FBD?

Some common mistakes when drawing a truck incline FBD include forgetting to include all the forces, drawing forces in the wrong direction, and not labeling the forces correctly. It is important to double check the FBD for any errors before using it for calculations.

4. How does the angle of incline affect the FBD for a truck?

The angle of incline affects the FBD for a truck by changing the magnitude and direction of the forces. As the angle of incline increases, the force of gravity pulling the truck down the incline increases, while the normal force and friction decrease.

5. Are there any assumptions made when creating a truck incline FBD?

Yes, there are some assumptions made when creating a truck incline FBD. These include assuming that the truck is in static equilibrium, meaning it is not accelerating, and neglecting any external forces acting on the truck, such as wind or air resistance.