Troublesome Stokes Theorem Problem

In summary: I found the final answer to be =-12\piJust out of curiosity, how did you come up with your original integrand from the curl of F?
jegues

Homework Statement

See figure attached for problem statement

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

See figure attached for my attempt.

I found this problem to be a little long and drawn out, which leads me to believe I made a mistake somewhere. Is this the case? Or does it just turn this way? Was there an easier way to solve this problem?

Thanks again!

Attachments

• 2009Q1.jpg
    2009Q1.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 428
Physics news on Phys.org
jegues said:

Homework Statement

See figure attached for problem statement

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

See figure attached for my attempt.

I found this problem to be a little long and drawn out, which leads me to believe I made a mistake somewhere. Is this the case? Or does it just turn this way? Was there an easier way to solve this problem?

Thanks again!

That is exactly the way to do the problem, but you did make a mistake. Check your sign on the z component of curl F. But where did you get that integrand for I? It should be curl F dot k which isn't 12xy + 6y2. That mistake caused all the extra work (think of it as good practice :rolleyes:)

LCKurtz said:
That is exactly the way to do the problem, but you did make a mistake. Check your sign on the z component of curl F. But where did you get that integrand for I? It should be curl F dot k which isn't 12xy + 6y2. That mistake caused all the extra work (think of it as good practice :rolleyes:)

Ah! Good catch!

Thanks, I'll give me the problem another go and see how things unfold.

I found another mistake, in the circle in the xy plane, the radius is [tex]\sqrt{2}[/tex] not [tex]\sqrt{3}[/tex].

I found the final answer to be [tex]=-12\pi[/tex]

Last edited:
Just out of curiosity, how did you come up with your original integrand from the curl of F?

Related to Troublesome Stokes Theorem Problem

1. What is the Stokes Theorem?

The Stokes Theorem is a mathematical theorem that relates the surface integral of a vector field over a closed surface to the line integral of the same vector field along the boundary of the surface.

2. What makes the Stokes Theorem a troublesome problem?

The Stokes Theorem can be a troublesome problem because it requires a strong understanding of vector calculus and the ability to visualize and manipulate three-dimensional surfaces and vector fields.

3. How can I approach a Troublesome Stokes Theorem Problem?

It is important to first understand the problem and what is being asked. Then, use the given information to set up the appropriate integrals and apply the Stokes Theorem formula. Visualizing the problem and breaking it down into smaller parts can also be helpful.

4. What are some common mistakes when solving a Troublesome Stokes Theorem Problem?

Some common mistakes include incorrect orientation of the surface or boundary curve, not properly converting between vector and scalar fields, and errors in setting up the integrals.

5. How can I improve my understanding and problem-solving skills for the Stokes Theorem?

Practice is key in improving understanding and problem-solving skills for the Stokes Theorem. Working through different examples and seeking help from peers or a tutor can also be beneficial. Additionally, having a strong foundation in vector calculus and three-dimensional visualization can greatly aid in solving these types of problems.