Troubleshooting Unable to Access Router for Security Setup

• Thread starter netgypsy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Router
In summary, the speaker is seeking help with enabling security on their Linksys wireless router. They have tried various methods, including resetting the router to factory defaults, but have been unable to access it. However, they were able to access the router and add security using their notebook connected wirelessly. They mention that the router has remote access disabled and are uncertain why they were able to access it. They are hoping that the security measures will not cause any problems.
netgypsy
Before I go to the serious computer forums perhaps someone on here can help me out. I have a linksys wireless router and I need to enable security and password protection on it as the signal probably reaches several of my neighbors.

I've tried putting the code listed for that model as the URL for the computer that is directly connected to the internet but I can't seem to get into the router. I've tried to ask the computer connected to the router for the settings and the setting for Gateway is blank when the info comes up. I've tried a variety of codes with no success.

I'm using a verizon USB wireless modem for internet. I also did the reset to default two different ways to get the router back to factory default settings and still have no success getting into it to enable security.

The network cable is connected from the internet computer network (LAN) connection to the router to the position labeled internet and it works fine as I use my notebook and cell phones from the router signal. I even tried other positions with no success.

HELP

Computer science news on Phys.org
Did you try connecting to http://192.168.1.1 ?

YUP and .1.0 and .0.0 also. It just times out.

Well just on the off chance that it would work I tried to access the router from my notebook which is connected wirelessly and is not the internet source and got in immediately. And on top of that the router has remote access disabled so I have no idea why I could get in but I did and added security so let's hope it doesn't cause problems elsewhere?

Thanks!

Now it's not asking me for a password when I log in after disconnecting?

Last edited:
You should be able to get the IP address of your router like this:

run: cmd (this will get you a DOS prompt)
At the DOS prompt, type ipconfig

Thanks. The IP address is correct. I don't know why I can't get into it with my desktop computer. I got in again with my notebook using the wireless after resetting everything back to factory default again. Undoubtedly there's one setting requiring a password that I can't use. But it did ask for a password from my cellphone also so hopefully it's working now. Very annoying.

What does it mean when I can't get into my router?

When you are unable to access your router, it means that you are not able to log in to the router's configuration page or interface. This can happen due to various reasons such as incorrect login credentials, network connectivity issues, or router malfunction.

How do I access my router's configuration page?

To access your router's configuration page, you need to enter the router's IP address into your web browser's address bar. The default IP address varies for different router brands, but it is usually mentioned on the router's label or in the user manual. Once you enter the IP address, you will be prompted to enter your login credentials to access the configuration page.

What should I do if I forgot my router's login credentials?

If you have forgotten your router's login credentials, you can usually find them on the router's label or in the user manual. If you are unable to locate them, you can reset your router to its factory settings by pressing and holding the reset button for 10-15 seconds. This will reset all the settings to default, including the login credentials.

Why can't I connect to my router's configuration page?

If you are unable to connect to your router's configuration page, it could be due to network connectivity issues. Make sure that your device is connected to the same network as the router and that the router is turned on. You can also try restarting both your device and the router to see if that resolves the issue.

What should I do if I am still unable to access my router?

If you have tried all the above steps and are still unable to access your router, it could be a sign of a malfunctioning router. In this case, you may need to contact your internet service provider or the router manufacturer for further assistance. They may be able to troubleshoot the issue or provide a replacement if necessary.