Troubleshooting Turbine Flowmeter Calibration

In summary, the person is trying to figure out a way to calibrate their turbine flowmeter for use in fuel rigs. They are having trouble with the process that they are currently using. They are unsure of what they need to do to correct the problem.
robsmith82
Hi,

I'm having a lot of trouble trying to set up a process for calibrating turbine flowmeters for use in fuel rigs.

Basically, I have a calibrated "master" flowmeter in series with the uncalibrated turbine flowmeter. I need a process that will give me the line of best fit across the flowmeters range, and also state its uncertainty to a given confidence level (probably 95%)

At the minute, our process isn't very good. We take 10 points going up the range and 10 points down, then take the line of best fit using the least squares method, which gives you your gain and offset for calibration. Then we say, if any point is more than 0.5% of full scale from the line, the calibration has failed. We take outliers into account by saying you are allowed 2 points between 0.5% and 1%, but not at the top and bottom limits and not consecutive. I think we should be using the grubb outlier method.

What I think I have to do is find the mean and SD for each value up the range, then use the worst case SD to calculate the uncertainty. This needs to be carried out by shop floor personnel, so can't be too complicated. We are using labview to capture the data, plot the line and show "pass" or "fail"

Help me out guys!

Engineering news on Phys.org

A 10 point cal is pretty standard for most flow meters. I do believe that you can go so far as to request viscosity calibrations as well. What exactly is it that you are having the trouble with?

We use Cox flow meters (among others). They have a nice cal set up for their meters.
http://www.cox-instruments.com/calibration.html

Last edited by a moderator:

What I'm really struggling with is whether I need to do the same point a number of times to get the mean and SD for that point to be able to find and state the uncertainty, or whether I just take one reading per point.

Related to Troubleshooting Turbine Flowmeter Calibration

1. What is a turbine flowmeter and why is it used for calibration?

A turbine flowmeter is a device that measures the flow rate of a fluid by using a turbine wheel to convert the fluid's kinetic energy into rotational motion. It is commonly used for calibration because it is accurate, reliable, and can measure a wide range of flow rates.

2. How do I know if my turbine flowmeter needs calibration?

If you notice a discrepancy between the readings of your turbine flowmeter and a reference standard, or if the flowmeter has not been calibrated in a long time, it may be time for calibration. Additionally, if the flowmeter is used in a critical process or industry, regular calibration is recommended to ensure accurate measurements.

3. What are the steps for troubleshooting a turbine flowmeter calibration?

The first step is to check the flowmeter for any physical damage or buildup that may affect its accuracy. Next, check the connections and wiring to ensure they are secure and not damaged. If the flowmeter still seems to be not functioning properly, it may need to be recalibrated or replaced.

4. How often should a turbine flowmeter be calibrated?

The frequency of calibration depends on the industry and its specific regulations. In general, it is recommended to calibrate a turbine flowmeter at least once a year. However, if the flowmeter is used in a critical process or industry, it may need to be calibrated more frequently.

5. Can I calibrate a turbine flowmeter myself?

It is not recommended to calibrate a turbine flowmeter yourself unless you have the proper training and equipment. Calibration should be done by a trained and certified professional to ensure accurate and reliable results. Improper calibration can lead to costly errors and potential safety hazards.