Troubleshooting Trig Problem 1-5: Confirmation Needed

In summary, The problem attached as Problem 1-5.jpg involves trigonometry and there is a question about the angle and force in the figures. The correct angle should be 30°, not 60°, and the calculations in the given solution are incorrect. The correct calculation would be d = 30sin(30°) = 15 inches.
s3a

Homework Statement

The problem along with its solution is attached as Problem 1-5.jpg.

Homework Equations

Trigonometry.

The Attempt at a Solution

Should the 60° angle in Fig. 3 be 30°? Is Fig. 3 supposed to be the exact same thing as Fig. 2 except that the force is moved to be entirely horizontal? I'm just trying to make sure that I'm visualizing things properly so sorry for the probably trivial question. I was confused by the 60° angle and then I noticed that d = 30sin(60°) ≠ 15 inches and that if I assumed that Fig. 3 was the exact same thing as Fig. 2 with the force relocated then d = 30sin(30°) = 15 inch which makes sense to me. I'm just looking for a confirmation unless I am wrong, then I am looking for a correction.

Any input would be highly appreciated!
Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• Problem 1-5.jpg
    Problem 1-5.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 453
Physics news on Phys.org

Yes, it looks as though they've used the wrong figure; the angle should be 30° to match the rest of the example. Interestingly, they've patched in the correct result even though the calculations are incorrect. Note, for example, that they arrive at length d = 15 inches using d = 30 sin(60). Well sin(60) is not 1/2; sin(30) is.

Thank you.

Related to Troubleshooting Trig Problem 1-5: Confirmation Needed

1. What is the purpose of troubleshooting trig problem 1-5?

The purpose of troubleshooting trig problem 1-5 is to identify and solve any potential errors or issues that may arise when working with trigonometric functions and equations. This will ensure that the final solution is accurate and reliable.

2. How can I confirm if my solution to trig problem 1-5 is correct?

You can confirm the accuracy of your solution by checking it against a known answer or using a graphing calculator to plot the trigonometric functions and compare the results.

3. What are some common errors that may occur in trig problem 1-5?

Some common errors in trig problem 1-5 include using the wrong formula, inputting incorrect values, forgetting to convert from degrees to radians, and making mistakes in algebraic calculations.

4. What steps should I take when troubleshooting trig problem 1-5?

The first step is to carefully review the problem and make sure you understand the given information. Then, check your work for any mistakes or errors. If you are unable to find the error, try using different methods or approaching the problem from a different angle. Finally, confirm your solution and make any necessary adjustments.

5. What additional resources can I use to troubleshoot trig problem 1-5?

You can use online resources such as math forums, tutorial videos, and practice problems to help you troubleshoot and improve your understanding of trigonometry. Additionally, working with a tutor or asking for help from a classmate can also be beneficial.