Troubleshooting Home Lighting Problem

In summary, the speaker is experiencing a problem with their light bulbs constantly blowing, even after replacing them. A friend suggests it could be due to a "Floating Earth" issue, where the utility company may be using Earth as a neutral return causing an imbalance in the two phases of a 220 utility. The speaker is seeking advice or an explanation for this issue.
Burfameng
Hi Guys.

I have a problem at home, and it's confusing me!
My light bulbs are blowing, not just the filament fusing, but the whole base EC and BN are also arching through!
Only when we switch on the light bulb, not when it already burning (on).
It has an intense bright light for a split second, then blows!
After replacing the bulb, it works fine for a week or so, then blows again!
This happens with incandecent and energy saving lamps!

A friend told me it could be, Floating Earth!
But I can't make any sense of Floating Earth!
Anyone with advice or a explainition on this fault, or Floating Earth?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Your utility may use Earth as neutral return. This can cause an inbalance in the two phases of a 220 utility. You might try pouring some water on the ground stake, if that's the case.

Hello,

Thank you for reaching out with your home lighting issue. From your description, it seems like you may be experiencing a phenomenon known as "overvoltage." This occurs when the voltage supplied to your light bulbs is higher than the rated voltage for the bulbs, causing them to burn out quickly. This can happen due to a variety of reasons, including faulty wiring or a problem with the power source.

In regards to your friend's suggestion of "Floating Earth," this refers to a situation where the electrical ground is not properly connected or is fluctuating. This can also contribute to overvoltage and lead to issues with your light bulbs. It is important to have a licensed electrician investigate and address any potential issues with your electrical system to prevent further damage and ensure your safety.

I recommend contacting a professional to troubleshoot and resolve this issue. They will be able to properly diagnose and fix the problem, ensuring that your light bulbs do not continue to blow out. I hope this helps and best of luck in resolving your lighting problem.

Related to Troubleshooting Home Lighting Problem

What could be causing my lights to flicker?

There are a few possible reasons for flickering lights. It could be due to a loose bulb, a problem with the light switch, or an issue with the electrical wiring. It's best to check these components first before calling an electrician.

Why do my lights suddenly turn off or dim?

This could be caused by a power surge or a tripped circuit breaker. Check your circuit breaker panel to see if any switches have been tripped. If the problem persists, it could be due to a damaged electrical component or faulty wiring.

Why do some of my lights work while others do not?

If your lights are on different circuits, then it could be a problem with the circuit breaker. However, if all the lights are on the same circuit, it could be due to a loose connection or a damaged wire. It's best to have an electrician check and repair any faulty wiring.

How can I fix a buzzing or humming noise coming from my light fixtures?

This could be caused by a loose bulb or a damaged light fixture. First, try tightening the bulb to see if that stops the noise. If not, the fixture may need to be replaced to eliminate the buzzing or humming sound.

What should I do if my lights are not turning on at all?

The first step is to check the light switch and make sure it is turned on. If the switch is on and the lights still do not turn on, then it could be a problem with the circuit breaker or a damaged wire. It's best to have an electrician check and repair any electrical issues.