Troubleshooting Flux Out of a Cube: Evaluating a Double Integral

In summary, the student is trying to work through an example on flux out of a cube, but is having difficulty understanding how one line of the answer becomes the next. They are confused by an incorrect result they get when performing an integration. They are able to confirm the mistake and identify that it was copied from earlier in the example.
squiggles0
I am trying to work through some examples we have been given on flux out of a cube but am having difficulty in seeing how one one line of the answer becomes the next.

The question is analysing the flux out of a cube by looking at each side individually and working out the surface integrals.

Looking at side a a double integral is formed, which I can get to and understand, but I don't not understand how this has been evaluated.

The formula is in the attached .bmp

I get the answer of 1/3 when I try to evaluate this. I do not see why in the second line the Int dz has been separated out, or where the 1/2 has appeared from.

Many thanks for any help.

PS. apologies for not writing it in LaTeX but I don't know how yet and was hoping for a quick answer.

Attachments

• equation 1.bmp
    5.9 KB · Views: 479
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It will probably take even longer if you don't write in latex as attachments have to be approved. You can click on latex images to see the coding used and there is a small pdf that can be accessed from a link in the code window aswell. If you want to have a look at some latex examples then do so in the following thread:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=8997

Thanks for the info and the link Kurdt. I have now written the formula up in LaTeX.

[tex]

flux = \int_{0}^{1}\int_{0}^{1} y^2\; dy dz

[/tex]

[tex]

= \frac{1}{2} \left[ y^3 \right]_{0}^{1} \int_{0}^{1} dz

[/tex]

[tex]
= \frac{1}{2}
[/tex]

No primitive function of [tex] y^2 [/tex] is [tex] y^3 /3 [/tex]

Sorry, but what do you mean by primitive function?
I was performing one of the intergrations then the other. So first:
[tex]
\int_{0}^{1} y^2\; dy
[/tex]
Which gives [tex] \left[ \frac{y^3}{3} \right]_{0}^{1} [/tex], but this is wrong?

The primitive function is a function that gives the integrand when differentiated. Or the primitive function is the indefinite integral of the integrand.

It appears that the example is wrong and that is why you're getting confused. It should be as malawi glenn said.

squiggles0 said:
Sorry, but what do you mean by primitive function?
I was performing one of the intergrations then the other. So first:
[tex]
\int_{0}^{1} y^2\; dy
[/tex]
Which gives [tex] \left[ \frac{y^3}{3} \right]_{0}^{1} [/tex], but this is wrong?
A "primitive function" or just "primitive" is an anti-derivative. What you have here is correct but what you had earlier was
squiggles0 said:
Thanks for the info and the link Kurdt. I have now written the formula up in LaTeX.

[tex]

flux = \int_{0}^{1}\int_{0}^{1} y^2\; dy dz

[/tex]

[tex]

= \frac{1}{2} \left[ y^3 \right]_{0}^{1} \int_{0}^{1} dz

[/tex]

[tex]
= \frac{1}{2}
[/tex]

and that's clearly incorrect- it should be 1/3.

I couldn't see how this result had been arrived at, but it is repeated later on as well. I'm guessing it was just copied from earlier then, just wasn't sure if i was missing out something or if it really was a mistake.
Thanks for the confirmation guys.

Of course books or notes are never infallible. Well done for spotting it.

Related to Troubleshooting Flux Out of a Cube: Evaluating a Double Integral

1. What is the concept of flux in a cube?

The concept of flux in a cube refers to the amount of fluid or energy passing through the surface of a cube per unit time. It is represented by the symbol Φ and is measured in units of volume per time, such as cubic meters per second.

2. What does it mean to troubleshoot flux out of a cube?

Troubleshooting flux out of a cube involves evaluating the double integral of the flux over the surface of the cube to determine the amount of fluid or energy passing through the cube. This process helps identify any issues or errors that may be causing a decrease in the flux, and allows for adjustments to be made to improve the flux.

3. How is a double integral used to evaluate flux out of a cube?

A double integral is used to evaluate flux out of a cube by integrating the flux function over the surface of the cube. This involves breaking the surface into smaller, more manageable pieces and summing up the flux values for each piece to get the total flux. The result of the double integral represents the total amount of fluid or energy passing through the cube.

4. What factors can affect the flux out of a cube?

The flux out of a cube can be affected by various factors, such as the size and shape of the cube, the velocity of the fluid or energy passing through it, the properties of the fluid or energy, and any obstacles or boundaries present in the cube's surface. Changes in any of these factors can result in changes in the flux.

5. How can troubleshooting flux out of a cube benefit scientific research?

Troubleshooting flux out of a cube can provide valuable insights and information for scientific research, as it allows for the identification and correction of any issues that may be affecting the flux. This can lead to more accurate measurements and analysis, and ultimately improve our understanding of various phenomena related to fluid or energy flow.