Troubleshooting a Formula for Solving Sides and Angles: Help Needed!"

In summary, the conversation is about trying to find a formula for solving sides and angles on objects. The formula involves the use of logarithms and trigonometric functions. The speaker has a potential solution but is stuck on one line and is asking for help. Through further discussion, they come to the conclusion that the formula is correct and the solution can be found by using a computer or solving the equation manually.
Dr Game
I've been trying to invent a formula for solving certain sides and angels on objects... and I've tried many different ways to get the formula for it, I think I might have it, but there's this one line I can't figure out how to solve... help would be appreciated.

-4 ln | (csc53 + cot53) = -3 ln | (cscx + cot x)

-2.78 = -3 ln | (cscx + cot x)

-2.78 / 3 = -ln ( (1/sinx) + (1/tanx))

then... how can I get x from that...

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Well, this is how I'd do it.

e^(2.78/3)=1/sinx+cosx/sinx.

Asinx=1+cosx, where A is the constant on the LHS.

Asinx-cosx=1. Then just use a computer to solve this?

Well, remove the minus signs, and get:
[tex]\ln(\frac{1+\cos(x)}{\sin(x)})=\frac{2.78}{3}[/tex]
whereby:
[tex]\frac{1+\cos(x)}{\sin(x)}=e^{\frac{2.78}{3}}[/tex]
Agreed so far?

then is not 1+cos an identity of something? hmm

Last edited:
telll me if this was an illigal move...

1+cos(x) = 2.526 / sin (x)

1 = 2.526 tan(x)

1/2.526 = tan(x)

x = 21.3 degrees

Dr Game said:
telll me if this was an illigal move...

1+cos(x) = 2.526 / sin (x)

1 = 2.526 tan(x)

1/2.526 = tan(x)

x = 21.3 degrees

I presume your first line was meant to read 1+cosx=2.526 sinx (typo?)

However, yes that is an "illegal move". You have divided both sides by cosx, but have missed off the term 1/cosx from the LHS

ya, that was a typo.. and I realized that after I submited that:mad:

Related to Troubleshooting a Formula for Solving Sides and Angles: Help Needed!"

What does "Stuck at solving this line" mean?

"Stuck at solving this line" typically refers to a situation where a person is struggling to find a solution or answer to a specific problem or task.

How can I get "unstuck" when solving a difficult problem?

One strategy for getting "unstuck" when solving a difficult problem is to take a break and come back to it later with a fresh perspective. You can also try breaking the problem down into smaller, more manageable parts or seeking help from others.

Why do I keep getting stuck at solving certain types of problems?

There could be several reasons for this, such as a lack of understanding of the underlying concepts, not using the right problem-solving strategies, or having distractions or other external factors that are impacting your ability to focus.

How can I improve my problem-solving skills?

One way to improve problem-solving skills is to practice regularly by solving a variety of problems. You can also try learning different problem-solving techniques and strategies, seeking feedback from others, and reflecting on your problem-solving process.

Is getting stuck at solving a problem a bad thing?

No, getting stuck at solving a problem is a normal part of the problem-solving process. It can actually be beneficial as it allows for a deeper understanding of the problem and can lead to more creative solutions.