Trouble with @ mention somebody function?

• Thread starter jim hardy
  • Start date
In summary, it takes about ten tries to make the tagging feature work, but it seems to have been fixed now. There have also been some issues with the Paint program changing its functionality, possibly due to updates. Some members recommend using Linux Mint for a Windows-like experience on Ubuntu.
jim hardy
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
It takes about ten tries to make it work. It shows name of whomever I'm trying to tag but when i click nothing happens until after random number of tries usually four to twelve.

Probably my anemic computer.

Physics news on Phys.org
jim hardy said:
Probably my anemic computer.

Want a transfusion from mine? :-p

@jim hardy it seems to work fine for me. It doesn't turn blue in the reply box, but it does in the "preview", so I assume this will work fine when I hit post.

Edit: Yep. It appears to have worked fine for me.

Drakkith said:
Want a transfusion from mine? :-p

Hmmm... Computer "Blood Brothers" ?

This thing is developing really fruatrating quirks. Something eats time but task manager won't show it, Secirity Essentials and Avast don't find anything wrong.

. I'll have to re-install Windows i think. Update Poisoning ?

No idea. A fresh install rarely hurts though.

Jim, I had the same problem yesterday, but I did not follow through. I simple left it as it was.

Thanks Dr.D

Firefox & Win 7 here.

Jim, I run Firefox on an Ubuntu (Linux) machine. I'm not sure what this tells us, if anything.

Dr.D said:
Jim, I run Firefox on an Ubuntu (Linux) machine.
That's my dream. Is there a Linux for Dummies ?

jim hardy said:
It shows name of whomever I'm trying to tag but when i click nothing happens until after random number of tries usually four to twelve.
Firefox on Vista here.

@jim hardy -- are you typing @ and the partial start to the name, then clicking the little box that pops up with the username in it?

berkeman said:
@jim hardy -- are you typing @ and the partial start to the name, then clicking the little box that pops up with the username in it?

Yes. Time after time. Every time i add a character the box reappears but ignores my click. Not a major issue, i just type the whole name and cuss my computer.

berkeman said:
I really suspect it's my machine.

If there's a test i can run just advise.

jim hardy said:
That's my dream. Is there a Linux for Dummies ?
Yes, various options are available, such as Ubuntu. It can be run "live", by booting from a CD, so you can try how you like it.

If your hardware is older than a couple of years or you otherwise need help, let me know.

Likes jim hardy
Likes jim hardy
@jim hardy -- Well, it looks like it worked for me this time. I'm running Ubuntu on an old Dell Optiples 745 (about 10+ years old). It works OK, although I really only use it for security on the Internet. Most of my work I do on another similar old machine running Win XP, but that machine is not on the internet. Too much of my existing software will not run (or at least, I don't know how to make it happen) on the Ubuntu machine.

@Dr.
@Dr.
@Dr.D
@Dr.D
@Dr.

hmmm works sometimes sometimes not.

@Dr.
@Dr.
@Dr.
@Dr.
@Dr.
@Dr.
@Dr.

@Dr.

The box with your name shows up
and a little hand pointer
doesn't matter where in the box i place the hand and click - on letters or the icon

@ Dr.seems to have quit altogether.

Jim, this is much like life. Sometimes it works, and sometimes not. Then there comes a time when it definitely stops working. I think the similarity is uncanny.

Dr.D said:
Jim, this is much like life. Sometimes it works, and sometimes not.
Computers are just that way.

They're out to get you because of you signature. :olduhh:

Likes ISamson, CalcNerd, OmCheeto and 1 other person
dlgoff said:
@jim hardy... take heed! [COLOR=#black]..[/COLOR] :-p

Likes dlgoff
Or, without the @ sign...
dlgoff said:
jim hardy... take heed! [COLOR=#black]..[/COLOR] :-p

Last edited:
Likes dlgoff
dlgoff said:

I say they've earned that signature , .

Likes ISamson, dlgoff and S.G. Janssens
To err is human, but it takes a computer to really screw things up!

Likes dlgoff and Charles Link
BillTre said:
To err is human, but it takes a computer to really screw things up!
Italic by me
This looks like good signature material IMO.

Did you fellows fix something ? It seems fixed now.

Of course my Paint program has changed its "Crop" functionality twice in last week which means Microsoft has been monkeying around, those night stalking rats.

Jim -

Linux Mint is a very windows-like version of Ubuntu. You can put on on a thumb drive or a DVD and run it from there. You can load on your PC and it will create a dual boot - it asks what OS you want to start: it gives windows the proper priority - last choice and not a default.

Likes jim hardy
Linux Mint ? Thank you , i'll look into that ..

jim hardy said:
Did you fellows fix something ? It seems fixed now.
Think Poltergeist.

Actually, they must have fixed (exorcised) something, I had the same problem around the same time and it seems to have cleared up now.
Also running XP and Firefox. I learned many years ago to completely disable Automatic Updates. They kept disabling features I was using.

Tom.G said:
I learned many years ago to completely disable Automatic Updates.
I just noticed your reply on this thread. Wise decision. :approve:

Related to Trouble with @ mention somebody function?

1. What is the "Trouble with @ mention somebody function"?

The "Trouble with @ mention somebody function" is a common issue that occurs on social media platforms and messaging apps where the function to tag or mention another user using the "@" symbol does not work as intended.

2. Why does the @ mention somebody function not work sometimes?

There can be several reasons why the @ mention somebody function may not work. It could be due to a technical glitch, network connectivity issues, or the user's account settings.

3. How can I fix the @ mention somebody function?

If the issue is due to a technical glitch, refreshing the page or restarting the app may fix the problem. If it is a network issue, ensuring a stable internet connection can help. If the problem persists, checking the account settings and ensuring that the user is not blocked or muted can also resolve the issue.

4. Is the @ mention somebody function available on all social media platforms?

The @ mention somebody function is a common feature on most social media platforms and messaging apps. However, the functionality and usage may vary slightly between platforms.

5. Can I prevent others from mentioning me using the @ symbol?

Most social media platforms and messaging apps have privacy settings that allow users to control who can mention them using the @ symbol. Users can choose to allow everyone, only their followers or friends, or no one to mention them.