Trouble understanding spin-1 Pauli matrices

In summary, the conversation discusses the commutation relations of the spin-1/2 Pauli matrices and the Casimir operator of SU(2). It is mentioned that the commutation relations hold for all representations of SU(2), including the spin-1 case. The conversation also touches on the concept of Casimir operators for Lie algebras and their relationship to spin and spacetime symmetry.
gaze
If we consider the spin-1/2 pauli matrices it makes sense that

[tex][S_x,S^2] = [S_y,S^2] = [S_z,S^2] = 0[/tex]

since [tex]S^2 = I[/tex]... and this is supposed to be true in general, right?

Well, if I attempt to commute the spin-1 pauli matrices given on http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pauli_matrices, with [tex]S^2[/tex], only [tex]S_z[/tex] appears to commute with [tex]S^2[/tex]. Why would this be? At first observation, [tex]S_z[/tex] should obviously commute with [tex]S^2[/tex] since they'd appear to have the same eigenvectors, meaning they're simultaneously diagonalizable and therefore commute, but [tex]S_x[/tex] and [tex]S_y[/tex] obviously don't have the same eigenvectors, that wouldn't make much sense... I feel like I'm missing some really crucial detail and I can't seem to figure out what it is. Would someone mind shedding some light? Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
First of all you should write [tex]\sigma[/tex] instead of [tex]S[/tex] as one usually defines [tex]S_i = \sigma_i / s[/tex]

Then I guess that instead of [tex]S^2[/tex] you mean [tex]\vec{\sigma}^2[/tex]; you get a [tex]I[/tex] for each component.

And of course all 2*2 matrices do commute with [tex]I[/tex]

Yes, but I'm interested in the spin-1 case, which has 3x3 matrices, and where [tex]S^2[/tex] is not proportional to [tex]I[/tex]

[tex]\vec{S}^2[/tex] is the Casimir operator of SU(2) and is proportional to [tex]I[/tex] in all represenations.

The commutation relations hold w/o restriction or modification in all representations. We start with the Pauli matrices (which are special for s=1/2)

[tex][\sigma_i, \sigma_k] = 2i\epsilon_{ikl}\sigma_l[/tex]

Now we define

[tex]S_i = \sigma_i / 2[/tex]

We then have

[tex][S_i, S_k] = [\sigma_i/2, \sigma_k/2] = 2i\epsilon_{ikl}\sigma_l/4 = i \left(\epsilon_{ikl}\right)S_l[/tex]

1) The term in brackets represents the SU(2) structure constants which define SU(2) and which are valid in all representations. They define themselves one special representation, the so-called adjoint representation which in our case is just spin 1. You can check this by calculating the commutation relations of the 3*3 matrices

[tex](M^i)_{kl} = \left(\epsilon_{ikl}\right)[/tex]

2) The commutation relations

[tex][S_i, S_k] = i \left(\epsilon_{ikl}\right)S_l[/tex]

(constructed from the Pauli matrices) are now valid for all SU(2) representations (including the spin 1 case); so you can insert any n*n SU(2) matrix S.

3) Calculating [tex]\vec{S}^2[/tex] explicitly one finds for s=1/2

[tex]\vec{S}^2 = \vec{\sigma}^2/4 = \frac{3}{4} I = \frac{1}{2}\left(\frac{1}{2}+1\right) I = s(s+1) I[/tex]

All reps of SU(2) are labelled by a value s which can be s = 1/2, 1, 3/2, ... The equation

[tex]\vec{S}^2 = s(s+1) I[/tex]

is valid in all reps. This is the so-called Casimir operator of SU(2) and by construction it commutes with all generators

Last edited:
Haha I actually fudged my matrix multiplication. Really sorry to have wasted your time... but I did learn what a casimir operator is! Thanks a bunch for the help.

Your welcome.

Last note: one can construct Casimir operators for all Lie algebras. One finds r independent Casimir operators where r is the rank of the algebra = the number of diagonal generators. For SU(2) this is just the 3rd matrix. Doing the same analysis for the Lorentz group i.e. SO(3,1) one finds two Casimir operators, the first one corresponding to M² (invariant mass), the second one to W² (which corresponds to spin). So SO(3,1) shows how spin is related to spacetime symmetry.

Related to Trouble understanding spin-1 Pauli matrices

1. What are spin-1 Pauli matrices?

Spin-1 Pauli matrices are mathematical representations of the spin of a particle. They are used in quantum mechanics to describe the intrinsic angular momentum of a particle. They are also known as the Pauli spin matrices or simply the Pauli matrices.

2. How many spin-1 Pauli matrices are there?

There are three spin-1 Pauli matrices, denoted by σx, σy, and σz. Each matrix represents the spin along a different axis in three-dimensional space.

3. What is the significance of spin-1 Pauli matrices?

Spin-1 Pauli matrices are important in quantum mechanics because they help us understand the properties and behavior of particles at a fundamental level. They are also essential for calculating various physical quantities, such as energy levels and transition probabilities.

4. How do spin-1 Pauli matrices differ from other types of matrices?

Spin-1 Pauli matrices are different from other matrices in that they are non-commutative, meaning that the order in which they are multiplied matters. They also have special properties, such as being Hermitian (equal to their own conjugate transpose) and unitary (equal to their own inverse).

5. How can I use spin-1 Pauli matrices in my research or experiments?

Spin-1 Pauli matrices can be used in a variety of ways in research and experiments in quantum mechanics. They can be used to describe the spin of particles, calculate probabilities of different outcomes, and analyze the behavior of particles in different systems. They are also used in many theoretical models and equations in the field of quantum mechanics.