Trouble understanding Fermat's principle of least time

In summary, Feynman's approach involves finding a path that minimizes the total time of transit, while Orodruin's approach starts with the assumption that small perturbations can be ignored.
FeynmanFtw
I've been reading about Fermats last principle in Feynmans lectures on physics, and he sort of goes through the derivation of Snell's law by considering a simple refraction and applying a bit of trigonometry (see photo).

9bFZJle.jpg

What I'm having trouble with is this. He states that if you take a two paths separated by the distance XC when hitting the 2nd medium, and introduce the assumption that XC is very small, then AC - EC ≈ AX. But what if the distance of XC is not small enough to make this assumption valid? Surely then the trigonometry would not work and you would end up with a different equation for Snell's law?

Physics news on Phys.org
It is quite easy to show that the path described by Snell's law actually gives the global minimum in this case. Simply write the total optical path as a function of where on the surface the light hits and put the derivative of this equal to zero. You really do not need to consider only small perturbations (although that will tell you that it is a possible local minimum, which is enough for light to take that path).

FeynmanFtw said:
But what if the distance of XC is not small enough to make this assumption valid?
Then you make it smaller! You have control over XC. Strictly the relationship between sines only emerges as XC tends to zero. It is a limiting process.
But it's well worth doing what Orodruin recommended and find the minimum of the total optical path (or total time of transit) in the conventional manner. Then compare this with Feynman's approach. I know which impressed me more!

Honestly, I've had a go at what you guys suggested but it seems my maths is a tad rusty (or it's just one of "those" days). I've drawn a diagram similar to the one I posted but without the infinitesimally shorter path; I've simply sketched out one path and put in the vector locations as well as the angles where the angles required for Snell's law as well. I did write out the equation for the total time of the optical path in terms of distance, and assumed that the light has two different speeds in each medium (above the boundary, it was ν1, and below the boundary it was ν2, with the latter being a factor n slower than the former (basically n.ν12). Now I also used the distances involved in each trajectory, as this was a nice starting point, and I hoped that they at some point would disappear (either replaced with angles or left as a ratio of the velocities of light in each medium), leaving me with the required equation. But I get stuck!

Honestly I'd really appreciate it if someone could start me off in the right direction so I can have another crack at this. Maybe tomorrow I'll have better luck.

FeynmanFtw said:
Honestly, I've had a go at what you guys suggested but it seems my maths is a tad rusty (or it's just one of "those" days). I've drawn a diagram similar to the one I posted but without the infinitesimally shorter path; I've simply sketched out one path and put in the vector locations as well as the angles where the angles required for Snell's law as well. I did write out the equation for the total time of the optical path in terms of distance, and assumed that the light has two different speeds in each medium (above the boundary, it was ν1, and below the boundary it was ν2, with the latter being a factor n slower than the former (basically n.ν12). Now I also used the distances involved in each trajectory, as this was a nice starting point, and I hoped that they at some point would disappear (either replaced with angles or left as a ratio of the velocities of light in each medium), leaving me with the required equation. But I get stuck!

Honestly I'd really appreciate it if someone could start me off in the right direction so I can have another crack at this. Maybe tomorrow I'll have better luck.
Why don't you show us exactly what you got by doing this? It will be much easier for us to identify your mistake.

You might like to start like this… To make things simple, consider only light that travels in the plane of the paper (z=0, say). Then the boundary between the media can be treated as a line. Let it be the x-axis. Consider a route consisting of two straight lines that takes us from the point (0, a) to the point (b, -a) via the point (x, 0). Use Pythagoras's theorem to express the journey time in terms of [itex]a, b, x, v_1, v_2[/itex]. Determine the value for x which makes the time a minimum. You should find that it's easy to express the equation for this x in terms of angles.

Ah, got it guys. Thanks for the help everyone, I would have shown you my working had I failed again but I started from scratch again this morning and got it :). It's amazing how we develop tunnel vision when solving things sometimes and stepping away from the problem for a moment can help.

I have one issue though, that I would like clarified. I never assumed (like some other people do) that the first medium is air and the latter is glass. I just assumed that both mediums have different speeds of light (labelled ν1 and v2 respectively) and then assumed that one is simply changed by a factor k when entering a different medium, i.e. ν1 = kv2. I still got the final relationship regarding the angles and velocities of light in different mediums, but my FINAL formula for Snell's Law is

Sinθ1 = kSinθ2

My question now is, how would one infer anything about the refractive index, assuming we had no idea about it?

FeynmanFtw said:
My question now is, how would one infer anything about the refractive index, assuming we had no idea about it?

You cannot, not unless you have a reference of which you know the refractive index. Snell's law with arbitrary media reads
$$
n_1 \sin \theta_1 = n_2 \sin \theta_2
$$
so your ##k## is simply the ratio between the refractive indices.

Related to Trouble understanding Fermat's principle of least time

1. What is Fermat's principle of least time?

Fermat's principle of least time states that light will travel between two points in the fastest way possible, taking the path that requires the least amount of time. This principle is based on the fact that light travels at different speeds in different mediums, and it will always take the path that minimizes the total time of travel.

2. Why is Fermat's principle important in optics?

Fermat's principle is important in optics because it allows us to predict the path that light will take when traveling through different mediums. This principle is fundamental in understanding how light behaves and interacts with different materials, and it has many practical applications in fields such as lens design, optical imaging, and laser technology.

3. How does Fermat's principle relate to Snell's law?

Snell's law states that the angle of incidence is equal to the angle of reflection when light travels between two mediums with different refractive indices. This law is derived from Fermat's principle of least time, as the path that minimizes the total time of travel also results in equal angles of incidence and reflection.

4. Can Fermat's principle be applied to other forms of energy besides light?

Yes, Fermat's principle can be applied to other forms of energy such as sound waves and particles. In these cases, the principle states that the energy will take the path that requires the least amount of time, similar to the behavior of light.

5. What are some real-world examples of Fermat's principle in action?

Fermat's principle can be observed in various phenomena, such as the refraction of light in a glass prism, the mirage effect in the desert, and the formation of rainbows. It is also used in practical applications, such as designing optical instruments like telescopes and microscopes, and in the study of atmospheric refraction in meteorology.