Trivia Quiz - Historical Facts and Figures

• Thread starter marlon
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Quiz
In summary: Ratzinger.2)...when pirates capture you, you can call for parley in order to make a deal.3)...both the current president and the prime minister are twin brothers.4)...the first prime minister of Israel was Ben Gurion.5)...when you call my name, I am no longer there. I am from the Batman movie.6)...smoking is bad for your health, and was discovered this way by scientists during a certain political regime.7)...Christiaan Barnard performed the first successful heart transplant.8)...habemus papam means "we have a pope."9)...the SS
marlon
1) What is the full (real life) name of the current pope

2) When pirates capture you you can call for "parler". What does this mean ?

3) Of which country both the current president and the prime minister are twin brothers?

4) Who was the first prime minister of Isreal ?

5) "When you call my name, i am no longer there". Who am i and from which movie does this riddle come ?

6) Smoking is bad for your health. Under which political regime did scientists found that out for the first time (or at least found some of the earliest proofs)

7) Who performed the first successful heart transplantation on a human being?

8) What does "habemus papam" mean ?

9) What or who are/were the SS ? What does this abbreviation mean ?

10) What did Icarus try to achieve ?

11) What was the name of the political party that Ariel Sharon founded in 2005 and what does the name mean in English?

12) Which Nobel laureate once spoke/wrote down the very wise words "democracy is the worst system in the world, with the exception of all the others"
enjoy

marlon

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
geez, your quiz's aren't easy. :biggrin: I'd have to google for most.

dontdisturbmycircles said:
geez, your quiz's aren't easy. :biggrin: I'd have to google for most.

c'mon man "googling" is for pussies...

marlon

my answers::

1) Something Ratzinger

2)The captain?

5)The riddler? hahaha

9) Hitler's secret police, not sure what it stands for

10) To fly towards the sun with feathers attached to him with wax (which melted), aha, I knew that one.

I gave it my best.

Last edited:
After googling the answers to the ones I missed, I should have known a few more then I did, but it was a hard quiz none the less. :)

10)Flying - Icarus flew too close to the sun and his wings melted.
Can we answer more than one at a time?

Last edited:
1) Inigo Montoya :biggrin:

7) Christiaan Barnard, I know because my mom worked for Dr Cooley.

1) goes with 9) a bit, doesn't it?

As an aside -- google Gottfried Helnwein's art work The Epiphany.
I like it.

1) What is the full (real life) name of the current pope - something Ratzinger something

2) When pirates capture you you can call for "parler". What does this mean ?according to the movies, when you parley grants you the right to make a deal with the pirate captain

3) Of which country both the current president and the prime minister are twin brothers?Easy one - was in the news recently, and has been on NPR repeatedly these last two weeks in the context of the possibility of a new hyperconservative revival, and also discussing the likely public release of communist documents and the nonsensical punishment of everyone but priests that are revealed to have participated

4) Who was the first prime minister of Isreal ?Ben Gurion?

5) "When you call my name, i am no longer there". Who am i and from which movie does this riddle come ?not a clue - but since you used the word riddle I'm going with Batman, though I'm pretty sure it's wrong! This sounds like something Weird Al would write

6) Smoking is bad for your health. Under which political regime did scientists found that out for the first time (or at least found some of the earliest proofs)this could be a trick question...

7) Who performed the first successful heart transplantation on a human being?Christiaan Bernard

8) What does "habemus papam" mean ?something related to the pope?

9) What or who are/were the SS ? What does this abbreviation mean ?Secret Police -Schutzstaffen -

10) What did Icarus try to achieve ?try to escape captivity by flying out of a tower with wax wings attached

11) What was the name of the political party that Ariel Sharon founded in 2005 and what does the name mean in English?Kadime - no idea what it means

12) Which Nobel laureate once spoke/wrote down the very wise words "democracy is the worst system in the world, with the exception of all the others"
enjoyno idea - but that's a nice quote!

12>>Is it Al' Einstein?<<

1. Joseph Ratzinger
4. Golda Meir
8.We have a Pope
9. Schutz Staffel; originally the bodyguard for Hitler, took over many of the roles of SA after Roehm's fall
10. What his Daddy expressly told him not to do.
12. Goebbels once called him "a stinking barrel of whisky"

I know some answers:
3. Poland
8. We have a pope
10.Flight too near the sun

Last edited:
2) I don't know, but I expect it comes from the French word for speak and in this context means bargain for release.

4) David Ben Gurion

6) Proof is such a strong word. And "some" such a weak one.

10) Flight

11) Kadima. It means Forward.

Last edited:
My answerrs are below:

2) I don't speak pirate :)

3) Poland.

9) Schutzstaffel

10) He tried to fly to the sun.

11) Likud (spelling?)

12) Churchill?

OK, let me give the answers to the questions that have been solved correctly.

marlon said:
1) What is the full (real life) name of the current pope

Jozef Alois Ratzinger

2) When pirates capture you you can call for "parler". What does this mean ?
Talk to the captain of the ship to bargain for release

3) Of which country both the current president and the prime minister are twin brothers?
Poland

4) Who was the first prime minister of Isreal ?

David Ben Gurion

5) "When you call my name, i am no longer there". Who am i and from which movie does this riddle come ?
Life is beautiful. Answer : silence

HINT : the movie won multiple academy awards among one for best movie (this took place in the last 8 years).

6) Smoking is bad for your health. Under which political regime did scientists found that out for the first time (or at least found some of the earliest proofs)

Did not see a correct answer yet but the country belongs to the European Union now...

7) Who performed the first successful heart transplantation on a human being?
Christiaan Barnard

8) What does "habemus papam" mean ?
Latin for "we have a pope"

9) What or who are/were the SS ? What does this abbreviation mean ?
Schutzstaffel. They were the private gards of Hitler first but they became like the NAZI police later on

10) What did Icarus try to achieve ?
Fly to the sun with wings of wax but they melted as he came to close to the sun.

11) What was the name of the political party that Ariel Sharon founded in 2005 and what does the name mean in English?
Not Likud, he was a member of that party before creating Kadima which means Foreward

Arildno described him properly : Winston Churchill

I will let you guys think of the remaining question.
Hope you liked it so far and thanks for participating

marlon

Last edited:
The riddle is from Life is Beautiful. The answer to it is silence. Right?

morphism said:
The riddle is from Life is Beautiful. The answer to it is silence. Right?

correct

marlon

Related to Trivia Quiz - Historical Facts and Figures

1. What is the purpose of the "Trivia Quiz - Nov 2006"?

The purpose of the "Trivia Quiz - Nov 2006" is to test your knowledge and memory on a variety of topics and see how well you fare against others who have taken the quiz.

2. How many questions are there in the "Trivia Quiz - Nov 2006"?

There are a total of 20 questions in the "Trivia Quiz - Nov 2006".

3. Is the "Trivia Quiz - Nov 2006" suitable for all ages?

Yes, the "Trivia Quiz - Nov 2006" is suitable for all ages. However, some questions may be more challenging for younger participants.

4. Can I retake the "Trivia Quiz - Nov 2006" and improve my score?

Yes, you can retake the "Trivia Quiz - Nov 2006" as many times as you want. Your highest score will be recorded and displayed on the leaderboard.

5. Are the answers to the "Trivia Quiz - Nov 2006" available?

No, the answers to the "Trivia Quiz - Nov 2006" are not available. The purpose of the quiz is to test your knowledge and see how well you do without assistance or looking up the answers.