Tristate Logic - Increasing current drive

In summary, the conversation discussed the potential of using charlieplexing to control eight 7 segment displays with 8 microcontroller pins, but the practical issue of insufficient current was raised. To address this issue, the individual plans on using "KINGBRIGHT ELECTRONIC SC15-11SRWA" displays and potentially upgrading to a PIC16f84a microcontroller with a higher current drive. The solution proposed was to use '245 type drivers to boost the current.
Mike Charlie
I am currently looking at charlieplexing that can in theory cause me to be able to control eight 7 segment displays using 8 microcontroller pins, however in practice there is not enough current to drive all the displays. What I need is to increase the current drive from the microcontroller,

The information that I can give you is that I plan on using "KINGBRIGHT ELECTRONIC SC15-11SRWA" 7 segment displays. From what I understand is that it requires around 30 mA per segment on the display. The microcontroller I am currently using (will probably upgrade to one with more I/O pins) is a PIC16f84a, which I believe drives 25mA per pin.

I appreciate any help anybody can give me. Thanks.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Mike Charlie said:
I am currently looking at charlieplexing that can in theory cause me to be able to control eight 7 segment displays using 8 microcontroller pins, however in practice there is not enough current to drive all the displays. What I need is to increase the current drive from the microcontroller,

The information that I can give you is that I plan on using "KINGBRIGHT ELECTRONIC SC15-11SRWA" 7 segment displays. From what I understand is that it requires around 30 mA per segment on the display. The microcontroller I am currently using (will probably upgrade to one with more I/O pins) is a PIC16f84a, which I believe drives 25mA per pin.

I appreciate any help anybody can give me. Thanks.

Just use '245 type drivers to boost the current.

Related to Tristate Logic - Increasing current drive

What is Tristate Logic?

Tristate logic is a type of digital logic in which a signal can have three possible logic states: high, low, or high impedance. This allows multiple devices to share a single communication line without interfering with each other.

What is the purpose of increasing current drive in Tristate Logic?

The purpose of increasing current drive in Tristate Logic is to improve the speed and reliability of the signal transmission. By increasing the amount of current that can flow through the communication line, the signal can reach its destination faster and with less distortion.

How does increasing current drive affect power consumption in Tristate Logic?

Increasing current drive can lead to higher power consumption in Tristate Logic. This is because more current is being used to transmit the signal, which requires more energy. However, the trade-off is that the signal will reach its destination faster and with greater accuracy.

What are some common applications of Tristate Logic with increased current drive?

Tristate Logic with increased current drive is commonly used in high-speed data transmission, such as in computer buses, network communication, and memory chips. It is also used in electronic devices that require fast and reliable signal transmission, such as in smartphones and smart home systems.

What are some potential challenges in implementing Tristate Logic with increased current drive?

One potential challenge is the increased power consumption, which can lead to overheating and potential damage to the devices. Another challenge is the need for precise design and careful calibration to ensure proper functioning and avoid signal interference. Additionally, using Tristate Logic with increased current drive may require more complex circuitry and components, which can increase the cost of production.