Triple Integral - Volume of Tetrahedron

In summary, a triple integral is a mathematical concept used to calculate the volume of a three-dimensional shape, such as a tetrahedron. It involves dividing the shape into infinitesimal elements and integrating them to find the total volume. The formula for a triple integral is similar to that of a double integral, but with an additional variable to account for the third dimension. The volume of a tetrahedron can be calculated using a triple integral by taking the integral of 1 over the region of the shape. This allows for the efficient and accurate calculation of the volume of complex three-dimensional objects.
dkotschessaa

Homework Statement

Actually, the problem was addressed in a prior post:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=178250

Which is closed.

Homework Equations

I would like to know how HallsofIvy (or anyone) arrived at the formula for the tetrahedron given the vertices (1,0,0), (0,2,0), (0,0,3).

Ultimately I am to find the volume of this tetrahedron using triple integrals.

But I'm not worried about the integral as much as the setup:

The equation I get is 3 -3x -3/2y
not 1 -3x -3/2y

The Attempt at a Solution

I've taken two vectors from these points, taken their cross product, and created an equation of a plane. I am still getting my answer, and consequently an integral that doesn't seem right!-Dave K

Physics news on Phys.org
dkotschessaa said:
I would like to know how HallsofIvy (or anyone) arrived at the formula for the tetrahedron given the vertices (1,0,0), (0,2,0), (0,0,3).

You should label each of the vertices. Let A=(1,0,0), B=(0,2,0), C=(0,0,3). There are 2 methods (that i know of):

First method:
The Cartesian equation of plane is: [itex]ax +by+cz=d[/itex]

Just plug in the coordinates of the 3 points and solve the system of 3 linear equations. You should get x, y and z in terms of d. Then, divide throughout by d to get the final equation of the plane.

Second method (what you're expected to use):

Find two vectors that lie in the plane. Do the cross product to get the normal vector, [itex]\vec n[/itex].

Then, use the formula: [itex]\vec r.\vec n=\vec a.\vec n[/itex] where [itex]\vec a[/itex] is any point found in the plane.

Using the second method, you will get the Cartesian equation of the plane: [itex]6x+3y+2z=6[/itex]

There is indeed a mistake in that post: https://www.physicsforums.com/showpost.php?p=1387411&postcount=3

[tex]z=3-3x-\frac{3y}{2}[/tex]

Last edited:
Oh thank goodness.

I wasn't trusting my own answer, and it (the correct answer) makes the integration a little bit uglier.

Thanks man.

Regards,

-Dave K

Related to Triple Integral - Volume of Tetrahedron

1. What is a triple integral?

A triple integral is a mathematical concept used to calculate the volume of a three-dimensional shape or region in space. It involves integrating a function over a three-dimensional region, such as a tetrahedron, by dividing it into infinitesimally small pieces and summing their individual volumes.

2. How is a triple integral used to find the volume of a tetrahedron?

A tetrahedron is a three-dimensional shape with four triangular faces. To find its volume using a triple integral, the region is divided into small tetrahedrons with infinitesimal dimensions. The volume of each tetrahedron is then calculated using the formula V = (1/6) * base area * height. These individual volumes are then summed up using the triple integral formula.

3. What are the limits of integration for a triple integral in a tetrahedron?

The limits of integration for a triple integral in a tetrahedron depend on the orientation of the shape and the coordinates of its vertices. Generally, the limits for the z-coordinate are from 0 to the height of the tetrahedron, the limits for the y-coordinate are from 0 to the slope of the line connecting the base to the apex, and the limits for the x-coordinate are from 0 to the base length.

4. Can a triple integral be used to find the volume of a non-symmetrical tetrahedron?

Yes, a triple integral can be used to find the volume of any tetrahedron, regardless of its symmetry. The limits of integration and the function being integrated may vary, but the concept remains the same.

5. What are some real-world applications of computing the volume of a tetrahedron using a triple integral?

Triple integrals and the concept of volume are used in many fields of science and engineering. For example, in physics, triple integrals are used to calculate the mass of an object with a non-uniform density distribution. In engineering, they are used to find the mass, center of mass, and moment of inertia of complex three-dimensional structures. In biology, they are used to calculate the volume of organs or cells.