Triple Integral of z in a Wedge: Correcting Limits for y

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the triple integral of z for a bounded region in the first octant. There is a discrepancy in the limits of integration for the variables x and y, with the correct order being z, then x, and y being the last. It is recommended to change the order of integration to avoid confusion.
evilpostingmong

Homework Statement

Find the triple integral of z where E is bounded by the planes z=0 y=0 x+y=2 and the
cylinder z^2+y^2=1 in the first octant.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Just want to make sure that my setup is right. The limits of integration of x are 2 to 0,
for z, sqrt(1-y^2) to 0, and for y, 2-x to 0.

Physics news on Phys.org
Your z limits are not correct. It should go from 0 since it's bounded below by the xy plane to sqrt[1-y^2], limits of y should be reversed just like z.

The only reason why I integrated from sqrt(whatever) sorry lol is because the partial circle is "higher" than the xy plane.
Not trying to argue here, but can you explain why this is wrong? Srill don't quite get it.

Last edited:
Sorry for the double post, but I found that doing it my way gets a negative answer. Is that the reason? Oh and could someone please draw the diagram just so that I know what the graph of this should actually look like.

Upon closer inspection I realized that the limits for y are wrong. The upper limit for the y-integrand is either 2-x or sqrt[1-z^2] depending on where you draw the line parallel to the y-axis through the required volume. Try changing the order of the integration.

Since y is the problematic variable, let it be the last order of integration you perform. The limits for the other 2 variables are unambiguous.

Related to Triple Integral of z in a Wedge: Correcting Limits for y

1. What is a triple integral under a wedge?

A triple integral under a wedge is a mathematical concept used to calculate the volume within a three-dimensional shape that is bounded by two surfaces, forming a wedge shape.

2. How is a triple integral under a wedge different from a regular triple integral?

A triple integral under a wedge is different from a regular triple integral in that it only integrates over a specific region that is defined by the two bounding surfaces, rather than over the entire three-dimensional space.

3. What is the formula for calculating a triple integral under a wedge?

The formula for calculating a triple integral under a wedge is ∭∭∭ f(x,y,z) dV = ∭∭ S f(x,y,z) dA = ∭∭∭ f(x,y,z) dxdydz, where f(x,y,z) is the function being integrated, S is the region defined by the two bounding surfaces, dV is the volume element, and dA is the area element on the bounding surfaces.

4. What are some real-world applications of triple integrals under a wedge?

Triple integrals under a wedge have various real-world applications, such as calculating volumes of objects with curved surfaces, calculating the mass of a three-dimensional object with varying density, and determining the center of mass of a three-dimensional object.

5. What are some techniques for solving a triple integral under a wedge?

Some techniques for solving a triple integral under a wedge include using cylindrical or spherical coordinates, using symmetry to simplify the integral, and breaking the integral into smaller, more manageable parts. It is also important to carefully set up the integral by identifying the bounds and choosing the appropriate coordinate system.