Trigonometry Substitution (Integral)

In summary, the conversation is about solving a problem involving trigonometry substitutions and finding the antiderivative of a function. The participants discuss various hints and solutions, with one person using inverse hyperbolic sine and another using ordinary trigonometry. The final solution is close to being correct, with some minor errors to be corrected.
KDeep

Homework Statement

Making sure I got the right answer.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Attachments

• IMG_0375.jpg
    IMG_0375.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 343
Physics news on Phys.org
Um, sec(theta)^2/sqrt(sec(theta)^2) isn't equal to 1.

Hmm... I don't think so.

This doesn't need a trig sub at all. Remember your basic algebra too!

Hint: Look at the integral of the hyperbolic sine function, and see if there is something you can do to your function to make it a simple integral of that form.

Dick said:
Um, sec(theta)^2/sqrt(sec(theta)^2) isn't equal to 1.

Correct, so its 1/4∫ secθ dθ

which is ln | secθ + tanθ | + C

1/4ln | (x+2/2) + (x/2) | is the answer right?

1MileCrash said:
Hmm... I don't think so.

This doesn't need a trig sub at all. Remember your basic algebra too!

Hint: Look at the integral of the hyperbolic sine function, and see if there is something you can do to your function to make it a simple integral of that form.

I think it's pretty likely that KDeep hasn't done hyperbolic trig functions yet, though that does make it easier. You need some kind of substitution. Ordinary trig will work fine. You just have to do it right.

I have never heard about hyperbolic sine function at all, I will definitely look into that. My Professor wants us to do trig substitutions since it is in the section.

KDeep said:

When you take the derivative of your solution, do you get the function you wished to integrate?

KDeep said:

Getting close. Try the sec(arctan(x/2)) part again.

1MileCrash said:
When you take the derivative of your solution, do you get the function you wished to integrate?

I am confident that the derivative of ln| secθ + tanθ | is secθ.

KDeep said:
I am confident that the derivative of ln| secθ + tanθ | is secθ.

You are finding the antiderivative of 1/sqrt(16+4x^2), so your solution must yield 1/sqrt(16+4x^2) (or equivalent) when it is differentiated.

I think it's pretty likely that KDeep hasn't done hyperbolic trig functions yet, though that does make it easier. You need some kind of substitution. Ordinary trig will work fine. You just have to do it right.

I misspoke anyway - I meant inverse hyperbolic sine, but yes, you're right.

1MileCrash said:
You are finding the antiderivative of 1/sqrt(16+4x^2), so your solution must yield 1/sqrt(16+4x^2) (or equivalent) when it is differentiated.

I am using trigonometry substitutions though. I replaced x with 2tanθ, and dx with 2sec^2θdθ

KDeep said:
I am using trigonometry substitutions though. I replaced x with 2tanθ, and dx with 2sec^2θdθ

It doesn't matter. Given those replacements, replace them back when you have your solution.

You are almost there. You got the sec(arctan(x/2)) part wrong and you need to correct a simple numerical mistake. That's all.

Related to Trigonometry Substitution (Integral)

What is Trigonometry Substitution (Integral)?

Trigonometry Substitution (Integral) is a method used in calculus to evaluate integrals involving trigonometric functions. It involves substituting trigonometric identities into an integral to simplify the integral and make it easier to solve.

When is Trigonometry Substitution (Integral) used?

Trigonometry Substitution (Integral) is used when evaluating integrals that involve trigonometric functions such as sine, cosine, tangent, secant, and cosecant. It is particularly useful when dealing with integrals that involve radicals or rational functions.

What are the steps for using Trigonometry Substitution (Integral)?

The steps for using Trigonometry Substitution (Integral) are as follows:

1. Identify the integral that needs to be evaluated.
  2. Determine which trigonometric substitution will be most useful based on the form of the integral.
  3. Make the appropriate substitution using the trigonometric identity.
  4. Simplify the integral using trigonometric identities and basic algebra.
  5. Integrate the simplified integral.
  6. Substitute back in the original variable to obtain the final answer.

What are the most common trigonometric substitutions used in Trigonometry Substitution (Integral)?

The most common trigonometric substitutions used in Trigonometry Substitution (Integral) are:

• sin x is substituted by sin θ or tan θ
  • cos x is substituted by cos θ or sec θ
  • tan x is substituted by tan θ or sin θ

What are some common mistakes to avoid when using Trigonometry Substitution (Integral)?

Some common mistakes to avoid when using Trigonometry Substitution (Integral) are:

• Using the wrong trigonometric substitution for the given integral.
  • Forgetting to substitute back in the original variable after integrating.
  • Not simplifying the integral using trigonometric identities before integrating.
  • Forgetting to add the constant of integration after integrating.